ss Yongala and Navy Pier? Why are the operators charging so much!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand these are possibly two of the best dives in oz but has any one looked at the prices lately. How can they justify charging almost double what other 2 tank charters cost? Is it greedy operators cashing in on the tourist dollar or do they offer a superior service? I would like to hear from the operators or anyone connected to them on this issue. It makes it hard for the working class ozzie to get to see these wonderful sites. Modern day pirates I tells ya!

There are a lot of factors that can affect the price of a dive, and the most guilty culprit is the price of fuel. If it's a long trip there and back, they have to cover these kinds of expenses. Hopefully someone local can chime in. What are they actually charging you?

There are a lot of factors that can affect the price of a dive, and the most guilty culprit is the price of fuel. If it's a long trip there and back, they have to cover these kinds of expenses. Hopefully someone local can chime in. What are they actually charging you?

I've never been there, but I was curious, so I did a quick Google search. It seems as though the SS Yongala is 89 kilometres/ 55 miles from Townsville, which appears to be the most common launch site. That's a fairly lengthy boat ride. There also seems to be a mooring fee charged by the authorities responsible for managing and keeping the wreck preserved.

GREAT QUESTION Chris...diving prices in Australia in general are ridiculous...highest in the world easily, but these two take the cake. Regarding distance that's being mentioned...Navy Pier is a SHORE DIVE, yet you'll get charged close to $150 AUD for one dive, 2 dives on the Yongala are about $240 AUD, not as bad relative to the Navy Pier, but still more than you'd pay anywhere in the world. And while Townsville is a launchpoint, its not the ideal launchpoint...that would bein Alva Beach, far closer that Townsville and the price given is quoted from there. For the Navy Pier I know, at least when I did it, there is only one operator given the concession one time, so thereby I'm sure they can charge nearly what they want..and they apparently do. I really don't know why diving prices in general are so high In Australia...Navy Pier might be the most extreme example but they are high everywhere. Australia has so much great diving...it's so much more than the Great Barrier Reef...it's too bad it's not affordable.

While all that said, they are 2 FANTASTIC dives, two of my favorite in the entire world and, despite the cost, you just can't pass up doing them.

The navy pier is under exclusive licence to one charter company. One assumes this exclusivity does not come cheap. Plus I think your dive fees may go toward paying the security guards - they don't seem to do much else! Honestly though, having done both sites I can say they are worth paying extra for. I don't remember the Yongala dive out of Ayr being super pricey though.

GREAT QUESTION Chris...diving prices in Australia in general are ridiculous...highest in the world easily, but these two take the cake. Regarding distance that's being mentioned...Navy Pier is a SHORE DIVE, yet you'll get charged close to $150 AUD for one dive, 2 dives on the Yongala are about $240 AUD, not as bad relative to the Navy Pier, but still more than you'd pay anywhere in the world. And while Townsville is a launchpoint, its not the ideal launchpoint...that would bein Alva Beach, far closer that Townsville and the price given is quoted from there. For the Navy Pier I know, at least when I did it, there is only one operator given the concession one time, so thereby I'm sure they can charge nearly what they want..and they apparently do. I really don't know why diving prices in general are so high In Australia...Navy Pier might be the most extreme example but they are high everywhere. Australia has so much great diving...it's so much more than the Great Barrier Reef...it's too bad it's not affordable.

While all that said, they are 2 FANTASTIC dives, two of my favorite in the entire world and, despite the cost, you just can't pass up doing them.

Woah. That is pricey. AUD 240 is about USD 250, no? It cost about USD 50 for two boat dives here (excluding fills, gear rental, a guide, etc. -- just a spot on the boat). I suspect 'despite the cost, you just can't pass up doing them' might be a large part of the reason for the high cost.

Well, Australia's economy is going strong right now. Navy Pier is in a mining area where people earn a lot of money. A simple hamburger in a roadhouse costs 15 AUD; a liter of fuel in some places up to 4 AUD.

Both Ayr and Exmouth (paticularly Exmouth) are reasonably remote, which means that the operator has to pay a lot for fuel and other supplies. As Johann mentions, everything is expensive in northern WA, not just the diving. Partly that's because of a lack of competition (whether in burgers or diving) but part of it is because it's expensive to run a business so far away from the big cities and their supply chains.

Ayr's not as remote, but I'd guess that the operator has to pay a fortune for permits, mitigation studies and all the other palaver that goes with diving to an historic wreck. The Queensland government automatically charges about fifty bucks to process a simple driver license application form, so goodness knows how much they're hitting the Yongala dive ops for.

GREAT QUESTION Chris...diving prices in Australia in general are ridiculous...highest in the world easily, but these two take the cake.
We looked at doing a Mike Ball liveaboard from Carins to the outer reefs. The prices were enormous. We have lived here three years and not done any local diving yet. It is cheaper to go overseas. Then again , everything in Oz is overpriced. :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom