ss Yongala and Navy Pier? Why are the operators charging so much!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing none of you have realised or taken into consideration is the compulsory liability insurances operators have to pay.
The premiums got hiked about 8 years ago and were astronomical. caused a LOT of small businesses to go out of business (I am talking general tourism now not just diving).
Also there are minimum numbers of staff we have to have on the boats. Number of surface lookouts (and these have to be JUST lookouts not doing anyhting else at the time of the dive) for certain numbers of people.
It sucks but its why we have the safest diving in the world. Look at Australian stats compared to the US.
Its a shame and teh profit margin is not that good and us Instructors get paid a pittance for the hours and what we do.
I can't speak for WA and the Navy Pier but being QLD based its hard

I've been told and from what I can see Queensland has the most strict laws in the world regarding diving. As Aquapro mentions this also means the safest diving in the world but it does come at a cost. Australia is an amazing country and there is also so much to see and do beyond diving even though the price may be high the reward is great.

Yongala is probably a fair price considering the distance to run. The Navy Wharf is simply a rip-off.

Americans must remember that in Australia we pay a fair wage and no tipping is expected. This needs to be factored into considering a price for anything.

Any destination that has the prices referenced here, making it difficult for the average diver to dive, has a system that is seriously broken. I've spent nearly a year in Australia on multiple trips...and love it as a country diving and otherwise like no other incidentally..and across the board you will pay 2 to 5 times what you'd pay ANYWHERE else in the world for a boat dive. There is nowhere that charges anywhere close to what Australia does. Some of the comments have been made about distance to dive sites like the Yongala...but really $125 is justified per dive because there is a 30 minute boat ride..really? of course the Yongala isn't the only dive in the world that requires a 30 minute boat ride. And I can't see any justification based on the "we pay everyone a fair wage" argument. As to safety, it's great to be safe, obviously, but especially for the experienced diver Australia diving as a rule will be a less enjoyable experience that other destinations as well. Dive times are limited, and you have a high probability of being treated like a open water student...on one liveaboard out of Cairns I've never seen so many individuals with 1000+ dives so unified in their opinion that guides seemed to know little beyond herding everyone together and admonishing people rather than the knowledge of marine life and finding cool stuff for people to photograph, etc., that most people would say is their priority on a dive. There are exceptions to this of course, one really good operator in Byron Bay comes to mind, but in general everyone is being so "safe" that they've forgotten what makes diving so enjoyable. As an unintended byproduct of all the safety going on, I wonder how many inexperienced divers who have no business doing shore dives unguided are doing so because they can't afford to do guided boat dives? Just a thought.

You can attempt to make any argument as to why prices are justified but, again, Australia stands alone in charging these prices and any place that charges prices that drive the average diver away from being able to dive has to look at what they are doing. Australia is an incredible country and everyone should be able to afford to see it underwater.

There are a lot of factors that can affect the price of a dive, and the most guilty culprit is the price of fuel. If it's a long trip there and back, they have to cover these kinds of expenses. Hopefully someone local can chime in. What are they actually charging you?

Simply answer is "Monopoly", in Australia the government creates Monopoly thru weird secondary regulations- like EPA management laws/regs or Patent laws or OH&S laws...an American would be absolutely disgusted, and both of the parties do jack to change it, so much for A FAIR GO MATE!
Thanks for caring Doc!
Damo

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

I've been told and from what I can see Queensland has the most strict laws in the world regarding diving. As Aquapro mentions this also means the safest diving in the world but it does come at a cost. Australia is an amazing country and there is also so much to see and do beyond diving even though the price may be high the reward is great.

So much for letting mother nature take her course- It's suited the ones with capital and has made the scene an elitist thing, strictly for the very wealthy; who really need all the help to they can get stay alive because they are big on dollars but small on common sense - oxygen thieves they are! We need laws that suit the needs of the majority, not pander to the wealthy litigious ba$tards! who don't like to dive with regular(often more capable) people.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

Anyone truly serious here owns their own seaworthy vessel and dives with friends or solo. Which is too great a task for many. A dive costs me $21 in my "Cetus".

Please all consider the AUD/USD exchange rate has gone from 50c to over $1 in the past few years. So Americans, and Europeans although not to the same extent, are paying double what it used to cost. And as Aquapro says, the justification is the cost. The prices are high because the costs are high. Pretty simple. If they don't charge, they go out of business and many have in recent years - particularly in QLD which was hit hardest.

The good news is that us Aussies can now actually afford to go on liveaboards in Indonesia etc that were previously costing ridiculous amounts!! So sorry, but selfishly I'm all for the high Aussie Dollar :) I"m getting in as many USD/EUR priced boats as i can whilst it lasts.

Oh and don't forget normal local shore dives when you have your gear. For example i spent $25 yesterday to hire a tank and had 2 top notch dives yesterday - weedy seadragons, cuttlefish, some type of prehistoric dinosaur of a ray, nudi's galore, beautiful growth on pier pylons, about 6 seahorses including a baby. Bargain I say!

Travel costs, material shipping costs, legal requirements, safety issues, high standards required for equipment maintenance, staff required for all of it, these all drive up costs.

I'd rather deal with staff who get paid a fair amount and are protected by Work Health and safety laws when it comes to my safety. I'd rather the staff are not trying to guess who the biggest tipper will be and catering to them so they can feed their family!

Yes the costs of boat dives is hurting more now that the Australian Dollar is up and others are down. If you really want to do these dives and can afford the price.. go enjoy them. If you can't well there are many amazing shore dive sites around the country.

Be prepared the fills might be pricy too between $6 to $12 and more yet for nitrox. The standards required for tank testing and compressor maintainence add to the cost but also ensure you will get a safe fill.

Everything has a price and when it comes to my safety when I enjoy the sport that captivates me I won't be the one quibbling about costs! There are many places in the world with beautiful reefs to explore. If safety isn't a big concern, there are some very cheap locations.....

Travel costs, material shipping costs, legal requirements, safety issues, high standards required for equipment maintenance, staff required for all of it, these all drive up costs.

"I'd rather deal with staff who get paid a fair amount and are protected by Work Health and safety laws when it comes to my safety. I'd rather the staff are not trying to guess who the biggest tipper will be and catering to them so they can feed their family!

Yes the costs of boat dives is hurting more now that the Australian Dollar is up and others are down. If you really want to do these dives and can afford the price.. go enjoy them. If you can't well there are many amazing shore dive sites around the country.

Be prepared the fills might be pricy too between $6 to $12 and more yet for nitrox. The standards required for tank testing and compressor maintainence add to the cost but also ensure you will get a safe fill.

Everything has a price and when it comes to my safety when I enjoy the sport that captivates me I won't be the one quibbling about costs! There are many places in the world with beautiful reefs to explore. If safety isn't a big concern, there are some very cheap locations.....
"

Quibble with regard to dive prices?? I'll say it again...dive prices in Australia are 2-5 times what they are anywhere else. If you really believe the brand of safety and worker's compensation that apparently only Australia can provide justifies these prices and, more importantly, excluded large parts of the dive community from being able to afford to dive, I think you are out of touch with the mainstream diver. Love Australia but the system is broken there.

"

Quibble with regard to dive prices?? I'll say it again...dive prices in Australia are 2-5 times what they are anywhere else. If you really believe the brand of safety and worker's compensation that apparently only Australia can provide justifies these prices and, more importantly, excluded large parts of the dive community from being able to afford to dive, I think you are out of touch with the mainstream diver. The system is broken there.

When I travel to another country I expect things to be different. I respect the economic and political variances without declaring their system inappropriate or "Broken".

Do I enjoy paying higher prices for just about everything? Of course not but I enjoy a reasonable income, quality of life and the knowledge that the person serving me is also receiving the same without relying on tips. I think we all want our countrymen to enjoy a reasonable quality of life how that is accomplished is different.

If Australian live-a-boards, boat dives and dive trips are outside a person's means there are lots of other options. It certainly doesn't seem that the dive Industry serving those wanting to dive the Great Barrier Reef is lacking for business.

I am not sure exactly who is qualified to define the mainstream diver. It may be that definition changes from one country or community to another as well.

One thing to consider as well; everything is more expensive in Australia. That is the case across the board not just diving - this is for various reasons some valid some not, but well beyond the scope of a diving discussion. Suffice it to say, I am very happy with my diving here although it is a much more personal and smaller type in PD than elsewhere on the GBR. I am also very happy with Australia all around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom