SSI Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwm1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I havent started the class yet but I was wondering what are some of the things your expected to do during the open water part of the class? I know it probably varys from one instructor to another but just some ideals of things to expect.

Thanks

Doug

I havent started the class yet but I was wondering what are some of the things your expected to do during the open water part of the class? I know it probably varys from one instructor to another but just some ideals of things to expect.

Thanks

Doug

Unless its changed, their idea of deep dive is between 60 and 100 feet. I think the open water part of the class is to do a regular dive and not die.

It depends on your comfort level. But to qualify as a deep dive, it will have to be at least 60 ft. And unless its changed , you will be required to make at least two dives of 60 ft or greater to earn your deep certification. My instructor said we would shoot for 100 ft. And we made it with no problems. But, if I, or my dive buddy would have stopped him, He wouldnt have pushed us. The first thing he told me in my advanced class was, "That anybody can call off a dive at anytime", that means before,or during a dive , you should be able to call the dive . Period. If your buddies dont agree, I would find new buddies. Its important to stay within your comfort level.
Keep it fun and dive safe, Kenny

On one of my SSI Deep Dive OW checkout dives we went down to 100' and my instructor wrote some numbers on his slate then had me write them in reverse order on my slate and timed me doing so. Upon surfacing, he did the same thing with a different set of numbers to show how narcosis can slow your thinking. I wasn't under the grips of narcosis so my time underwater and at the surface were about the same. It does help to prepare you for recognizing the effects of narcosis. On another dive day when I did a couple of repetitive deep dives on my second dive at 90 feet I couldn't remember the hand signal for the number 6 and then later "saw" a giant catfish swirling the water around me with his tail. I signaled to my brother (dive buddy) that I needed to ascend some because I was starting to get narc'd. I feel the deep class helped prepare me as to what to expect when diving deep and what to do if you encounter the rapture of the deep.

Thats about what I expected, I think Ive been to about 70 or 75 feet a few times without any problems so I should be fine. I guess the over 100 ft stuff will come with time.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom