St. Croix-any suggestions would help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving in St. Criox twice. We took the seaplane over and stayed at the Waves, nice,clean and not too pricey. The first dive we did was at the Westin. The wall on the no. side starts at about 35ft and drops to 3000+. The swim back to shore was a long saflty stop, average depth 20ft with lots to see. I love wall diving and miss the Bahamas so it was a treat. next day my husband flew over and we dove No. Star beach This dive was even better. We saw 3 old spanish anchors and the visiblity on the wall can't be discibed. This time we did a pretty deep dive so we were in the water about an hour and a half (deco). As I said the swim back is shallow so it was perfect not like hanging on a line in the middle of nothing.

Well now for the bad stuff; we rented a car so we could shore dive on our own. At No. star beach we left the windows open in the car to deter any would be teefs. Man we thought we were pretty smart. Well when we got back they had broken the back seat and got into the trunk stealing a regulator I borrowed from a friend to use for a hang tank. We replaced the reg. thanks to keyman prices. If you shore dive don't leave anything in the car you don't plan replace.

I hear Anchor Dive Center is a fine operation. Good luck and have fun. If you make it to St. Thomas give us a shout www.yachtopus.com

Michelle and Lenny

Thanks for all the info everyone! One last question:

Is Cable and Worthless (wireless) the cell phone carrier in St. Croix? If so, I think my son's AT&T Cingular service will work there.

I used to live in Barren Spot on STX, worked in the ER there.
Anchor is fine good boat dives. Cane bay good shore dives. Places to eat at both. Do not leave stuff in your car.
Dove year round never needed a wetsuit.
You can dive very deep at Cane Bay.
It's a great place to dit and watch the sun go down then do a night dive.
Del

Del,

Thanks for your insight. I'm looking forward to a night dive by the pier. I understand that you can see lots of seahorses there.

Hope this gets to you in time to do some good. I just joined today and saw your query.

I dive in St Croix regularly and the best shop by far is Dive Experience, run by Michelle Pugh. Their staff is stable and first rate. Their boats are full everytime I go and most of their customers are repeat business. As a matter of fact, they seem to be divemasters from other areas!

Here's the contact info:

1 Strand Street
Christensted, St Croix
1 340 773 3307

divexp@viaccess.net

Please say hello to them for me if you go. Have a great time! If you need restaurant recs or anything else, email me.

All the best,

Richard Ross

Richard,

First of all, welcome to the board!! I think you'll find a great bunch of people here. And a lot of information.

My trip was postponed till Feb 22nd, so your post was quite in time. I'll contact Dive Experience and see what they've got to offer.

Thanks again,

Jack

Just re-read your intial post where you said you wanted restaurants as well. here's some of my favorites:

Case Place
Bacchus (pricier, but worth it)

Dive Experience can give you the name of the hotel right next to them. I've never stayed there, but some others that I know did and thought it very good. There's also a bunch of Cafe's right around the dive shop that are great for lunch and beers.

Diving there is great, everything from walls to plains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom