St Croix USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hotel is one of the tops on the island, with lovely tropical landscaping, a nice quiet beach (though it could be busy near christmas), and of course the golf course.
The crime statistics for St Thomas are actually rated higher and more violent than St. Croix. As long as you use some common sense and stay on main streets if you walk around Christiansted at night there should be no problem. There are some great restaurants in Christiansted and the Buccaneer can arrange a taxi to drop you as close to your restaurant as you want.

I think The Buccaneer is the nicest on the island. Located near Christiansted it is a on about 100 acres. Enjoy..

Thanks for the information. You all are a big help.

Well just a few more days left. Any information on renting a car if needed. Also this is the first time we are taking our full gear with us (no tank and weights). What kind of travel insurance should we get. My main issue is my dive bag. It would be a big dent in my pocket is it was lost.

Check out DAN. They offer equipment insurance. I always take reg, computer and expensive lights as hand luggage.
Regarding car rentals: The usual suspects (Hertz, Avis, Budget) are on the island and there are also a whole bunch of local car rentals. Give your dive shop or hotel a call. Maybe they can get you a discount.

Mayor:
Well just a few more days left. Any information on renting a car if needed. Also this is the first time we are taking our full gear with us (no tank and weights). What kind of travel insurance should we get. My main issue is my dive bag. It would be a big dent in my pocket is it was lost.

You can rent from national chains directly at the airport. I rent from centerline when I'm on island cause it's a local company and I know the owners.

My GF and I went to St Croix back in July. We had a great time. As some others have said, use some common sense about safety, and its no big deal. Here's some advice.

Car: Rent one. You can take taxis, but the expense of the car more than makes up for the freedom. There are so many different parts of the island that you can get to. Renting a jeep is highly overrated, just get a regular car.

Lodging: Buccaneer. Nice, but pricey. We wish we had stayed at Carambola after visiting the beach there. Great facilities, but rather remote from things to do. We actually stayed at the Hibisicus. They have a great restaurant and the hotel was okay. Be careful with them though. They have a once a month party that literally goes all night long and makes it impossible to sleep.

Diving: N2theBlue. Without a doubt, the best dive operation or my GF have ever experienced. Derrick and Anne are the best. Small boat. Personalized service. Its out of Frederisted so its a drive, but definitely worth it. If the weather holds, they'll take you over to dive the wall so you won't miss it. And if it doesn't, they'll give you a take to take over to Cane Bay for the dive. The folks over at the Scuba Shack are also super friendly. Their tech helped me out with a prob on my Oceanic Delta IV. Also personalized.

Hope this helps.

Just found out my home insurance will cover my bags and gear with no problem. I have not booked any diving and would like to do that when I get to the island. I understand if you book a week in advance with the shops you could save some cash but the savings is just not worth it. My first day will be sucked up with travel and stress getting to the island. That night I should plan the diving and golf. Two tanks in the AM, 18 holes in the afternoon, and great dinner at night. Life is good......

Well back to checking the weight of my bags, oh what fun. Thanks for all the information everyone gave us. We really liked the other two USVI so I hope we picked the right island.

A few last suggestions.

Make certain you make it to the Cruzan Rum factory tour. Free drinks after the tour.

Feed beer to the pigs at the Montpellier Domino Club. Try the Johnny Cakes there also. Quite tasty. The drive alone is worth the trip. Nice tropic jungle drive.

Finally, see if you can catch a show from Kurt Briggs Schindler. Local musician. Quite good. Pretty laid back rock.

Well back to the cold weather after two weeks. Wow, St Croix is great place to dive, walls, wrecks, and tons of underwater life. Used SCUBA for all of our dives. I planed to use a few shops but SCUBA's staff and owners made us feel at home. All I can say is you need to check out this island and shop. Much better diving then the two sister islands. Thanks again for all your information.

Back
Top Bottom