St. Lawrence River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the same group as qglad last summer and agree that this is a great place to dive. The wrecks are easily pentrated, actually more like swim throughs, and well maintained. A local Canadian group (sorry I forget the name) works to keep mooring lines on the wrecks and has placed artifact trays (canadian law forbids removing artifacts) and placque's on most of the wreck's. I fully intend on returning again this year. Check with the Scuba Connection www.tscscuba.com they run several 4 day trips each year..

There are plenty of wrecks to penetrate. Some a little more difficult then others. 90% of the wrecks there are intact so are relatively easy. Be sure you know what you are doing in way of education and gear and you should be fine. A wreck penetration course is strongly recommended.

Nice feedback on this thread. I have to agree that it is a nice diving environment in the St. Lawrence River. Due to the current the visibilty is good and there are no thermoclines to deal with. Most of the dive operations are on the Canadian side, but a few well established American dive operators can be found. Due to the restrictions at the border after 9/11 the dive boats can no longer freely dive where they please; for instance, If your on a Canadian boat you need to cross customs, which may take a while, then proceed to your dive site and then return through the customs to return to the Canadian side. There are only a few customs sites on the River so this may extend you travel time to get to customs then try and travel to the dive site. Some dive operators on the Canadian side will charge more for American wrecks and will leave earlier to compensate for the extra travel time. What most of us have been doing is just use the few American dive operators for wrecks in US water and Canadian Operators for their wrecks. Helps to avoid all those border crossings, such as driving across the border to get to the dive operator, then deal with customs on the boat twice just dive an American wreck (on a Canadian boat) and then deal with customs again to get back into the US after the day is over...(sigh) One of the local American operators ignored this rule when it first went into effect and almost lost his business, now he has almost no interest in Canadian wrecks. Some rumors are that a few Canadian operators are getting around the law by not using the mooring lines on the wreck and doing drift dives over the US wrecks, which they justify by stating they have never moored on US soil or property. I have never experienced this yet, but fellow divers and American operators in the St. Lawrence have been spreading this rumor.

The wrecks are preserved well in the St. Lawrence. The Canadian organization
"Save Our Shipwrecks" (SOS) are doing a nice job working to protect the shipwrecks in their waterway. A couple US charters of SOS have recently been established do the same for wrecks in US waters. Like most have said already the current and conditions for each wreck are different, which makes it more interesting. Many people get focused on the boat dives, but there are many wrecks to experience from shore dives along the St. Lawrecne too.

The St Lawrence is one of my favorite places to dive. I go there twice a year. You can do dives from the simpliest to the more advanced. There is no shortage of wrecks to explore. In the summer the water temp is in the 70's and the vis is great. You don't have to worry about getting "blown out" as you would in NJ or NC either. Here's another NJ Shop that has trips to the St. Lawrence: http://www.hunterdonscuba.com/

Dive Junky ,

That trip you guys are having sounds really intreeging! I might be interested. How long do you think that spots will be open for ?

Dan,
You gonna do these aka Vintage syle? Hee hee.

???

Where exactly is this? I'm living in Norway so I'm not very familiar with Canadian topography. What is the nearest international airport and how far is it to this place?

Some more questions:

How come the water is so warm?
Why is it so clear??
What part of the season is the best?

We are not used to big ships in fresh water lakes and rivers. This sounds like an incredible place to travel to for us divers!

KOMPRESSOR:
Where exactly is this? I'm living in Norway so I'm not very familiar with Canadian topography. What is the nearest international airport and how far is it to this place?

Some more questions:

How come the water is so warm?
Why is it so clear??
What part of the season is the best?

We are not used to big ships in fresh water lakes and rivers. This sounds like an incredible place to travel to for us divers!

The closest reasonable sized aitport (about an hour drive) is probably syracuse (SYR), watertown ny (ART) also has an airport(very small).. You would have to fly into somewhere like JFK,newark ect and get a shuttle flight.. from the nyc airports its about a 5 to 7 hour dive (depending on speed and traffic). I don't know the canadian side..

The water is very clear because of zebra mussels - nonatural predators.. when I started diving the area around 15 years ago viz was about 3m now it can be 30+m

The water is the clearest before it heats up.. I like june and early july.. In early september the water is at its warmest...

The area you dive is 40km east of lake ontario.. the main town on the us side is alexandria bay, (watertown ny shows up on most maps is about 30km south of alexandria bay)

The water is warm because of what the area is named for the 1000 islands.. these islands are scattered thought this potion of the river.. This causes the water to get quite thoroughly mixed and the only thermoclines are close to lake ontario and the deep channels.. its not uncommon to dive 40m wrecks with no thermocline in the late summer.
This also has the effect that the surface water temps are a bit lower than other local lake since the warmest water is being mixed with cooler water..

Back
Top Bottom