St. Maarten - a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunTunnel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

St. Maarten isn't a destination I'd normally pick, but we found a last second deal and are taking the kids away for a week.

Never been to St. Maarten and had a few questions for anyone that may have been there recently.

1. Big one on the diving....I know it's not going to be amazing, but overall are there interesting dive sites?
  2. If so, can anyone recommend a good shop that doesn't cater to the cruise ships and isn't a cattle boat, and maybe will take experienced divers to some more out the way/more interesting sites if they exist?
  3. Viz? Any good? What should we expect over July 4th week?
  4. Anything else you might want to add about the place, I'd love to know!
I did have a quick search, but thought I'd ask specifics.

Cheers! :)

Diving is not very good - was there a couple of years ago but in November so no idea re vis in July. Best shop I found was Octopus Divers - on the French side. Long way away from the cruise ships. Good people and they know the best places to dive. Was impressed. If you are there long enough a side trip to Saba will get you some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

We enjoyed our time there, but would not likely go back. It is a very long expensive flight from here, and the diving is underwhelming.

Thanks for the heads up, D9999. I figured I might have to shoot over to Saba. Don't suppose anyone knows of shops in St. Marrten that run trips over to Saba? would be less hassle than taking a ferry over, etc.

When I did a liveaboard trip it was not a quick or easy crossing; we sailed all night and I was very seasick. But it appears that they now have a high-speed ferry, see the link below, so that might work for you.

On the other hand, flying to Saba is fast and exciting - see the link below. St. Martin is a very nice place to visit and you will surely have a great trip!

http://www.sabatourism.com/gettosaba.html

Saba Airport

Last edited:
Thanks, Kathy. Yeah after having a quick scan online....I'll probably just opt to jump on the quick flight over. After pricing it, it's probably only about $70 more. Wondering if I can get 3 dives in that day if I take the first flight there and the last one back?

Any suggestions of dive sites that are above and beyond the norm for the caribbean? I saw Shark Shoal and some of the other pinnacles out west of the island. They seem to sound fun?

Bit of a risk I guess too taking a flight back that same day, but hopefully it keeps the altitude low enough to be a low risk for someone in decent health.

Hi All,

St. Maarten isn't a destination I'd normally pick, but we found a last second deal and are taking the kids away for a week.

Never been to St. Maarten and had a few questions for anyone that may have been there recently.

1. Big one on the diving....I know it's not going to be amazing, but overall are there interesting dive sites?
  2. If so, can anyone recommend a good shop that doesn't cater to the cruise ships and isn't a cattle boat, and maybe will take experienced divers to some more out the way/more interesting sites if they exist?
  3. Viz? Any good? What should we expect over July 4th week?
  4. Anything else you might want to add about the place, I'd love to know!
I did have a quick search, but thought I'd ask specifics.

Cheers! :)

I dived in St. Maarten last summer. While some of the dive sites are better than others, at least for multiple dives, I thought it was pretty good diving. Visibility is generally good. Though you'll get some swells, there is almost no current. You'll find the better diving off of the Dutch side, as the French side's dive sites are fairly shallow and the deeper sites are always at the mercy of the weather and the skills of those on the boats. For pricing, I found the French side to be more expensive. I liked Dive Adventures. The divemaster and boat captain were very personable.

Here are some good dives sites: Teigland (mid-70s feet), Mike's Maze I and II (50-60 feet), Proselyte (50 feet), Fishbowl (60-70 feet), The Gregory/Long Bay (50-60 feet), Lucy's Barge (50-60 feet), Carib Cargo (60-70 feet), Moonhole (60-70 feet). Moonhole is for more advanced divers. It's also halfway to St. Barts. I'll add some footage to this thread once I can get it uploaded.

Thanks, Kathy. Yeah after having a quick scan online....I'll probably just opt to jump on the quick flight over. After pricing it, it's probably only about $70 more. Wondering if I can get 3 dives in that day if I take the first flight there and the last one back?

Any suggestions of dive sites that are above and beyond the norm for the caribbean? I saw Shark Shoal and some of the other pinnacles out west of the island. They seem to sound fun?

Bit of a risk I guess too taking a flight back that same day, but hopefully it keeps the altitude low enough to be a low risk for someone in decent health.

For Saba, if you catch the early flight, you'll be able to get the first dive of the day, which is the deepest dive. I went with Saba Divers. Because the dives sites are so close to the island, you'll be able to catch the last flight out, which is around 5:30 pm or so (if I recall correctly). All of the dive sites are spectacular, a least the ones I went on. Most are more advanced than what I did in St. Maarten. I would recommend staying the night, if you can. The flight is all of 12 minutes and they keep it at a low altitude. I posted about it somewhere on here.

Good sites: Babylon (~100 feet), Man of War (70 feet), Torren's Point (40-50 feet), Tent Reef Wall (120 feet), Diamond Rock (80-90 feet), Hot Springs (70-80 feet). Multi-level dives, few square profiles.

been to st maarten a number of times. diving is certainly not to the level of saba or cozumel for example but is decent none the less. we almost always see sharks. some of the wreck sites are good. night dives always a treat. we use "dive adventures" in simpson bay. they also have a shop at divi little bay. they can hook you up with trips to saba using their booking company "aquamania". deal only with Vinnie there for the best service.
octopus diving was mentioned. they have the shop on the french side but also have a location by the cruise ship. they always get good reviews but we have never used them. the crew at dive adventures is too much fun.
if you have any specific questions about the island shoot me a pm and let me know where exactly you are staying. if i can help at all i will.

I've been to St. Maarten 3 or 4 times. We have used both Octopus Diving and Ocean Explorers. I would dive with either again.

However, it has probably been 7 or 8 years since I have been out with Octopus. It was out of their Grand Case (French side) operation. I have no experience with the Dutch side location they have recently opened.

I can speak very highly of Ocean Explorers. They operate a small boat with a small amount of divers. You will probably dive with the owner.

Between the 2, I would use the closest. If you are staying on the French side, I'd try Octopus. If you are staying on the Dutch side, I'd go with Ocean Explorers.

So just an update. I contacted Saba Divers. Seem really great, but I priced it up and it's something I'll definitely have to think about. By the time I buy a return flight for the day, take a return taxi ride to the dive shop, pay for lunch, and pay for 3 dives, we're talking over $400 for the day. OUCH! Pretty expensive....maybe hard to justify.

I'll just have to think about it I guess :rolleyes:

I dived with a few ops on St. Marteen over the course of the winter of 2014-2015 while working on a cruise ship. SunFunDive caters to the cruise ship folks. Was decent, and a short walk from the port. In Phillipsburg is another dive shop, Deep Blue, I think. wouldn't recommend them.
Based on a high recommendation from somebody else here on SB, I dived with Ocean Explorers. Small shop on the beach.Small but well maintained boat. Took us to a wreck in 90fsw that was pretty nice. Loved the set up they have. Owner was on the boat. He is very well respected and runs a tight ship. Second dive was a shark dive, my second ever. Loved it. Would highly recommend them for anybody going to St. Marteen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom