St. Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be hitting St. Maarten on a cruise in mid-February this year. I was hoping to dive there, but I've read that they have some really rough surface conditions. Is this true? Is it true this time of year?

I'm not particularly adverse to rough water, but since this is supposed to be a more relaxing trip (my 35th b'day), I am not really wanting to make it "too" adventurous...

I'm having trouble finding a local operator that's within reach of the cruise ship dock with a minimum of hassle, and it looks like I'll be using the ship's "dive excursion". I was hoping to avoid it, but oh well.

Wijbrandus:
I'll be hitting St. Maarten on a cruise in mid-February this year. I was hoping to dive there, but I've read that they have some really rough surface conditions. Is this true? Is it true this time of year?

I'm not particularly adverse to rough water, but since this is supposed to be a more relaxing trip (my 35th b'day), I am not really wanting to make it "too" adventurous...

I'm having trouble finding a local operator that's within reach of the cruise ship dock with a minimum of hassle, and it looks like I'll be using the ship's "dive excursion". I was hoping to avoid it, but oh well.

Have you tried "Blue Island divers", they hook up at the dock, or will pick you up, you need to check with them on where you ship will be pulling into port.

Caymanaic

caymaniac:
Have you tried "Blue Island divers", they hook up at the dock, or will pick you up, you need to check with them on where you ship will be pulling into port.

Caymanaic

Blue Island Divers - www.blueislanddivers.com

They are on St. Thomas, not St. Maarten. No joy there. I am scheduling my diving with them for when we hit St. Thomas, though.

Wijbrandus:
Blue Island Divers - www.blueislanddivers.com

They are on St. Thomas, not St. Maarten. No joy there. I am scheduling my diving with them for when we hit St. Thomas, though.

Whoops, you're right, it's Dive Safaris on St. Maartin but I think that they contract with the cruise lines so sign up on board and hope for the best & expect the worst and you'll not be disappointed. Any dive beats diving in Lake Mich. right now, outside temp. is near '0'F, wind is picking up to 30-35........why do I live here?

Dive Safe
caymaniac

I do not know about the conditions in February as I was there in June 2004. I dove with Ocean Explorers. They have a smaller boat and do one dive in the morning. They are located neat the Atrium Resort in the airport area. They did a good job.

The diving in St Maarten is OK. Decent diving if you are there on vacation but not great enough to go there for a dive trip.

CA Diver:
I do not know about the conditions in February as I was there in June 2004. I dove with Ocean Explorers. They have a smaller boat and do one dive in the morning. They are located neat the Atrium Resort in the airport area. They did a good job.

The diving in St Maarten is OK. Decent diving if you are there on vacation but not great enough to go there for a dive trip.

Perhaps the cruise itinery allows time to get to Saba. The diving is great and the island is quaint, clean, and unique.

I dove with Dive Safaris on St. Maarten on a cruise a few years ago. If your ship ports in Philipsburg (I'm almost certain it does) then they surely use Dive Safaris. Out of the dive operators the cruise ship chose on my cruise they were on top my list. It was in March when I went and I can't say I noticed much difference there with rough surface conditions than Tortola or Antigua.
In fact I liked it so much I'm going for a week this march and plan to include a night dive, Shark dive and a trip to Saba to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom