St Marten / Saba - where to dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely Saba. For a one day trip I'd take WinAir, do two dives and a short hike up Mt scenery before the flight back.

That's pretty ambitious. The hike up Mt. Scenery is a butt-kicker, and I don't know if doing a strenous hike up a mountain is a good idea following two dives - especially since dives in Saba are generally in the 60 to 90 ft range. That might be pushing the DCS limits a little IMO.

Diving in Saba is amazing, as is the entire island. Don't know about St. Maartin.

here's what SeaSaba says about hiking:
http://www.seasaba.com/MainPages/Diving,Hiking,Flying.htm

At the same time, one of the more popular topside activities on Saba is hiking up Mount Scenery or setting off on one of the other hiking trails that are maintained by the Saba Conservation Foundation. As for flying, you may remember that rigorous exercise, either immediately before or after diving, may increase your susceptibility to decompression sickness. Again, our recommendation is conservatism when hiking Saba's trails or simply meandering around Saba's steep hillsides. In particular, when climbing Mount Scenery we recommend that you only do so after you have sufficiently off-gassed and it is safe for you to fly according to your certifying agencies guidelines.

Last edited:
thanks for the info

I just spoke to Sea Saba - they mentioned flying on winair the same day isnt really much of a concern because the plane flies at low altitudes, but they said the day spa on the island is no longer operating

Unfortunately I think this means I probably wont be going to Saba, unless there are other things my wife can busy herself with for the few hours I'm away.

:(

aww i'm so sad.

saba probably wont happen, and i'm also missing the opportunity for the shark dive in St Martin that Dive Safari has as they only do it on Friday's and it will take place before I land

thanks for the info

I just spoke to Sea Saba - they mentioned flying on winair the same day isnt really much of a concern because the plane flies at low altitudes, but they said the day spa on the island is no longer operating

Unfortunately I think this means I probably wont be going to Saba, unless there are other things my wife can busy herself with for the few hours I'm away.

Hook the wife up with a day spa on St. Maarten while you go to Saba for a day!

Make life easy on yourself, do a dive with Octopus out of Grand Case. Saba diving is way better but to do it in one day from Grand Case would be a lot of schlepping.

Has anyone gone diving in St Martin?
If so, how was it?
Any recommendations?
Looking to dive with the ops at the Radisson

Thanks

Saba without a doubt, there are three dive operations there so it depends what you prefer, Sea-Saba is the most commercailly oriented...everything is done for you but it does feel like it's a business...Saba Divers is a slightly smaller operation with a smallish boat but they have free nitrox...Saba Deep is slightly more advanced in that it does what it says in the tin, they dice deep (first dive 120-130' on the pinnacles) then the second dive 80-90'. I prefer the latter as the boat which has some nice indoor shelter and a head rarely carries more than 6 divers and Kelly, Bob and legendary Big Mike (dived with Cousteau, was diving Cayman Brac before electricity!) are just the best DM team you can find...as for sites, the Pinnacles are what Saba's known for and you will not be disappointed...Outer Limits is my personal favourite although if you get to dive the north wall of 3rd Encounter with Mike it is a heck of an experience...Man O'War is most DM's favourite and Diamond Rock (current permitting) is great too...as to the shallower dives, Tent Reef has incredible plant and fish diversity and impressive swim-throughs...my only other tip...go to Saba T's and have the pizza...better than I've ever had, and I live in NY

I've done quite a bit of diving in St-Maarten and if you're looking for a dive operator, check out Dive Safaris in Simpson Bay. They also have a small shop at the cruise port in Philipsburg, but the shop in Simpson bay is the best. We've done several wreck and shark dives. There's one (I can't remember the name right now and my dive log is with my gear) which is an old tugboat that you can go through. The last time I was there the toilet was still intact and (if you bring a camera) you can have your picture taken while on the can.

The guides are experienced and really helpful.

I'll try and dig out my dive log to get more information of places to dive a little later today.

Mark

I have dove both Saba and St.Barths. St. Barths diving is defently better, way better. It is also closer to St. Martin. Great resturants and beaches there also.
Plongee Carribies has a great dive operation.

Back
Top Bottom