St. Martin/Sint Maarten trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pamdiv:
Getting from St. Maarten to Saba is an adventure in itself. If you go the ferry route, be sure and load up on your favorite motion sickness cure. If you go air, the landing is better than any "E" ride at Disneyland. (very short runway with a 1000' dropoff at the end.) The diving is some of the best and most pristine in the Caribbean. DON'T MISS IT!!!!!
Hell yeah. onthe way back from Saba the front of the ferry was going completely under water. I was flying a good foot out of my seat. We all got drenched, because we left the windows open, just to have something to hold onto. We were joking "Guess you have to earn the right to dive Saba."

I found it worth while to at least dive in St Maarten but it is not great diving. Fly to Saba for a three tank day is the best advice. Idove with Saba Deep. Big Mike is a character and the srervice is great.

Enjoy the trip. I also recommend Peg LEg Pete's Great food.

Mark me up on the Dive Safaris list. I made a cruise ship pass through St. Maarten in March of 03. The cruise ship offered 3 islands to dive and of the three operators recomended by the cruise ship Dive Safaris was the best.

Tim Ingersoll:
Forget Saint Martin and go over to Saba for the day.
We are going to Sint Martin, we love to dive just got back from bonaire. How long of a trip is it from sint martin to saba? Do they have a ferry to get there, and how much. What dive operation once you are there.
LynneMari

The ferry called the Edge (aka vomit comit) leaves from Simpson Bay (Aquamania Water Sports) on the Dutch side around 9 am. Not sure if it only runs on certain days or the price. The website is http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/ That is also my prefered dive shop. I really like the operation but thats just me. Another (and perhaps better) option is to fly WinAir. They run shuttles to Saba and all the other islands hourly and from what I have heard, the landing on Saba is an adventure in itself. Price wise, I have read anywhere from the 50's to around $100 RT.

Dive shops on Saba are Saba Deep and Sea Saba and Saba Divers. Look them up and take your pick.

St. Maarten is a great island. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

It was about $60 for the ferry and it took a little over 1hr.

I went with Saba Deep. Really cool guys Big Mike and Little Mike, smaller operation, small boat. $110 for bothe dives (I'm pretty sure that included marine park fees, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom