St. Rosa's Stella's Compressor Still Down; We're Going Next Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Part 1: The ongoing compressor saga

I just had a nice visit with Stella. She always reminds me that she wishes I'd leave a message & number when I call but I have free long distance; she can't get that with her local phone company, and I doubt that she has a cell phone, so I just hate to do that. I guess she does get a lot of hang-ups on her machine; maybe I'll discuss the idea of leaving long announcements on it?

Stella tells me that the city tore down the old building and have moved her to a temporary one, but while they did take her compressor apart - they can't put it back together. Maybe they just don't want the liability, but at any rate - it might get hooked up sometime this weekend. The odds at getting fills from her this weekend are poor - much better for next weekend.

Part 2: The Warning

My home bud Jerry and I are planning on arriving sometime Saturday late morning if anyone would be interested in saying Howdy or diving with us - please let me know, or avoiding us? :shakehead: I guess we'll be in his white extended cab pickup with camper and I'll try to remember to fly my Marine Corp :mil-usmc: flag from the window. Our approach is usually a late morning dive with some drills, a tailgate picnic sandwich, then a second dive before checking in at the Best Western Adobe Inn for a nap. We'll probly do two more dives with drills Sunday morning then head back.

We do get a little bored with the S.R.Blue Hole dives - no spottd eagle rays, anglefish, caves or wrecks, but we remind ourselves that the safety practice and equipment check-outs are important for the real show. We still are able to enjoy some weightless flying, maybe play we some egg yokes and other things the vast majority of the world's people may only try to imagine.

2ur771z.jpg

Better view of flag

Extra: Southwest Aqua Sports will be there from Lubbock

If anyone would like to meet the nice folks from my preferred Local Dive Shop (LDS), they're diving BH early on Saturday morning before maybe heading for Perch Lake, then the afternoon off before dinner at Joseph's around 6 pm and a night dive. They currently do not plan to take their large, trailer drawn compressor tho so will not able to supply fills - unless that plan changes. They do run a nice little all-scuba shop tho and offer Padi and TDI training so for anyone in West Texas who may be there, you really should look them up.

Just look for the Armadillo trailer with Southwest Aqua Sports sign, go over and tell them "DandDon told me that I need to meet Rachelle and Chad."

Warning - Dive Permits Requirements Enforced

I have never seen anyone collecting permit paperwork and money, but it's always a good idea to have the form completed with the money, just in case. Rachelle tells me that the last time they were there, a cop did ask to see their permits. They explained that they had the completed forms and money ready for when the guy showed up, apparently pleasing the officer - and that the permit lady did show up later.

If you've never been to S.R.Blue Hole, see more info here: Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes and click this button
f520pw.jpg
to download the dive permit form - or I'll just attach it here for download...

Attachments

• Santa Rosa Dive permit_application.doc
    61 KB · Views: 87
Warning - Dive Permits Requirements Enforced

I have never seen anyone collecting permit paperwork and money, but it's always a good idea to have the form completed with the money, just in case. Rachelle tells me that the last time they were there, a cop did ask to see their permits. They explained that they had the completed forms and money ready for when the guy showed up, apparently pleasing the officer - and that the permit lady did show up later.

If you've never been to S.R.Blue Hole, see more info here: Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes and click this button
f520pw.jpg
to download the dive permit form - or I'll just attach it here for download...

Thanks for the info Don. Unfortunately the only thing consistant about Santa Rosa is the inconsistancy. I have an email from Richard Delgado stating that permits have always been on the honor system only, and never enforced. But like the story above I have been asked by officers numerous times to show my permit, and once they even had someone posted at the steps checking everyones permit as they exited the water.

You know, I wouldn't mind the honor system - with forms, envelopes and a drop box at the picnic tables. I think a lot of divers would be happy to contribute. We are using their city property for our needs and fun. Just have an employee go by there every evening to collect the funds and lock the restrooms so vandals cannot go in at night, then every morning early to resupply and unlock the restrooms that are currently trashed at night.

I have spoken with Mr Delgado on the phone, very carefully as I would not want my temper to reflect off on all divers. Have you ever tried to suggest an idea to him? :rofl: At least you're not out-of-state to him.

Glad to see you're back in NM Don!

We'll be out Sunday, April 20th for a couple of dives. Good to hear that they're making progress, albeit slowly.....

The whole permit thing is very interesting to me. Hot and cold is how I would describe their enforcement or administration of the process. Still cheap compared to other places in the country.

Glad to see you're back in NM Don!

We'll be out Sunday, April 20th for a couple of dives. Good to hear that they're making progress, albeit slowly.....

The whole permit thing is very interesting to me. Hot and cold is how I would describe their enforcement or administration of the process. Still cheap compared to other places in the country.
Yeah, $8 for the weekend ain't much - if they would just put up drop box facilities and keep the bathrooms locked at night. It'll be interesting to see the place with the old dive hut gone. I'll call Stella tonight and try to confirm her air machine is up and running - and watch for you Sunday.

As much as I'd like to be there, I can't make it this weekend. I'm probably gonna head there in about 3 weeks, as my regular dive partners wife is out of town. If any of you guys want to go back and look at some crawdads, carp, and golf balls, let me know :D

Let us know your impressions this weekend. Some of us are looking at going next weekend, and we want to know what to expect! Especially curious about air fills and permits, but other impressions are welcome, too.

Let us know your impressions this weekend. Some of us are looking at going next weekend, and we want to know what to expect! Especially curious about air fills and permits, but other impressions are welcome, too.
Well the Permit form is something to always have filled out with money attached IMO, in case anyone is there is issue permits - or Barney Fife is on hand to issue citations.

I'll get pics of the current set up and let you know about the compressor. I phoned last night, but missed her. We do have a backup plan for air, but cannot offer it to others - unless they decide to drag their compressor trailer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom