STA for warm water diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
You can use an STA with any Pioneer wing.

Jonnythan,

I figured as much - but with the rods in the wing now (instead of it just being flat) I thought it might be a bit unstable...

JWU42:
Jonnythan,

I figured as much - but with the rods in the wing now (instead of it just being flat) I thought it might be a bit unstable...
Not one bit!

Jason

Fair enough - I will bring all the options to my fundies class - no STA, AL STA and 6lb weighted STA and figure what works best...

I was at the 5th D shop for my DIR-F class last weekend. I weighed every weighted STA in Mark's shop. They are all different weight. They ranges from 6.3 to 8.5 pounds

vbcoachchris:
I was at the 5th D shop for my DIR-F class last weekend. I weighed every weighted STA in Mark's shop. They are all different weight. They ranges from 6.3 to 8.5 pounds

Mine is 5+ years old made by Scott K. and weighs 5.8 lbs.

I assume the ones you mentioned were all made by H ?

JWU42:
Mine is 5+ years old made by Scott K. and weighs 5.8 lbs.

I assume the ones you mentioned were all made by H ?

Yep

JWU42:
That was quick - also just read the manual and see they suggest no bolts when using without the STA - just running the cam bands thru the BP and Wing.
Personally, I bolt the wing and plate together when using the Pioneer without an STA. (cam bands threaded through wing and plate). I found this made handling the system when switching tanks easier.

YMMV, but at least bring the bolts. The bolts it comes with are the right size to do this.

mer:
Personally, I bolt the wing and plate together when using the Pioneer without an STA. (cam bands threaded through wing and plate). I found this made handling the system when switching tanks easier.

YMMV, but at least bring the bolts. The bolts it comes with are the right size to do this.

MER,

Thanks for that - I am really having a hard time believing these bolts are the proper length. These bolts are not from H but from Scott K - he sent me an old AL STA along with a weighted one he made. The weighted one has the bolts as part of the STA...

How long are the bolts you are using?

JWU42:
MER,

Thanks for that - I am really having a hard time believing these bolts are the proper length. These bolts are not from H but from Scott K - he sent me an old AL STA along with a weighted one he made. The weighted one has the bolts as part of the STA...

How long are the bolts you are using?

JWU,
Yeah, I was referring to the bolts that come with the Pioneer wing from Halcyon. I think mine are about 3/4inch long, but I'm at work now and will measure them tomorrow for ya. Basically the bolt only needs to be long enough to pass through the plate and the grommets in the wing itself.

My weighted STA has the bolts impeded it in (Halcyon)... never had a problem with the length. I've never used the unweighted STAs, so I can't comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom