stab Jacket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A year or two in the pool will make a jacket that burnt orange color...

I'd look around for another shop.

I like the idea of renting from someplace else. And I REALLY like the idea of being sure you rent a brand that your LDS doesn't carry.

After you complete your OW dives, tip the instructor well if he did a good job for you and tell the LDS owner that you don't like the hard sell and you'll take your business elsewhere if it happens again. Then tell him what you'll pay for his gear, after some thorough research to determine a fair price, if you really want that particular brand.

I think it is pretty common to require purchasing basic gear or charging more for the classes. I know several shops around here that do that. I paid too much for my basic gear and I'm guessing that a lot of other folks did as well. But when I asked for a quote on a reg set they shot me back a price that was $20 higher than MSRP (I knew the MSRP because I did a lot of research), I walked out and haven't been back to that shop since.

Sounds to me the LDS is gouging you. I would say learn to shop around (even online)...you owe the LDS nothing, and they seem to like your wallet more than you. I think it smells like bait and switch to me...why can't you take the same BCD's you've trained with??? Why do they insist you use a completely different style BCD for your open water? I would raise this as an issue as its your class you paid for. If they don't budge...go on the trip and rent the BCD you want from what LDS exists at the diving location. Once back home look around for other dive shops.

Jim

Keep in mind on equipment, most LDS's offer a high price, but they're always negotiable. Especially when you want to buy a package or something..

Your note sounds EXACTLY like it could be me writing it.
My 11 year old son and I just took our OWC dives in Florida last weekend. We used a GREAT Company in West Palm called Ocean Quest. Sandy (owner) made my son feel very comfortable even though the conditions were pretty rough. I think I would search for another place to use similar equipment to what you trained with. That is what I did and I even had a fallback plan of bringing down a rented BCD for my son so that he would be completely comfortable with it.

We qualified with their equipment and now we are searching for the right stuff for us to own because I am just not comfortable with using rented stuff for safety equipment. I want to KNOW that our equipment is well maintained.
One other thought is that the folks at Divers Direct down in Florida (several locations) were EXTREMELY supportive when we went in to ask questions and start the search for our own gear.

Good luck!
Greg

gdwtvb:
. . . Me and my son will be better divers in the long run.

Pete I'd bet my right arm the jackets are at least 10 years old and I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that they're closer to twenty. I just saw one of the exact same faded orange models in another dive shop's display, right next to an old "navy diver" uniform, you know the one with the brass/bronze helmet.

You're getting an education in the worst way. . . You'll be a better diver because of it. I've used stabilizing jackets since they were introduced about 1976, If they hold air, you'll be safe. They were the top of the line in each of the decades since, with only cosmetic changes. If the gear is in that bad a shape, they may not fit well. . . let the tanks flop or squeeze at the surface if you fill them. You can get through your checkout dives safely, then never go back. You need a new dive store, a good store will let you rent and dive with a variety of gear. Only by trying BC's in the water can you find the fit, most important, or style you like. Much of the equipment you'll use will have fans and critics who will say their position is the only one. There are good and bad choices for jackets, back inflates, and BP/W. The choices can be made only after you and your son have experienced each and choose what's best for what you want to do. The stabizing jacket from ScubaPro has more sizes available than most other companies, if you get the right size it's comfortable, if you get the wrong size it won't be comfortable. If a shop "sells" you the wrong one because it's in stock, you're talking to the wrong dealer. How to get a good fit from online? I don't know. You can only determing fit by diving with the size and style of what interests you. Your son may have more problems with fit than you. . . But the right fit will keep your enjoyment in frequent dives.

On your check out trip, look at the dive shops around your dive site. . . They will try to put you in current equipment that fits. Those of us on the board want you to like diving like we do. Keep us informed on how you're doing.

gdwtvb:
Now although I really like the instructor and I feel we've both been getting great instruction, I've got a problem for the checkout dives. So far the equipment we've been using has been pretty good, (Rear inflation BCD Divetek "freedom pack") Well I just found out that the rental gear for our Florida trip includes a Stab Jacket BCD...

You know you can rent anywhere. It doesn't have to be where you're going.

If you like what you have, just rent the stuff you've been using, and take it with you.

In fact, since you just took the class, the shop you're using might even cut you a deal.

Don't let anybody rush you to buy until you know exactly what you want and have tried it. The only thing more expensive that good equipment is bad equipment, since you'll just toss it and buy the good stuff once you find out the crappy stuff sucks.

Terry

I have noticed that most dive shops that require your to buy the minimum gear ie mask, fins, wetsuit charge less for the class sometimes as low as $150. Thinking that if they teach you to dive for cheap they will make some money on the gear you buy and maybe a little on the trip. Sounds to me like they are trying to get you every way they can, and that dosnt sit well with me. On another note really glad you and your son are going diving together that is a great Christmas present for both of you. Good luck.

The LDS I used (maybe remove teh L as it was 2 hours away) bent over backwards to make the class painless. Nothing was required to be purchased from them. In fact I did my pool work using my snorkling set of split fins. The only thing I payed for was the class.

Sure during breaks the owner was milling around more then happy to show you his top of the line gear suunto d9 etc but we were also told ahead of time by our instuctor to expect this and to not feel pressured.

The LDS pool gear was terrible. But it sure did help you learn about lots of the minor problems. Bad o-ring, leaking hoses, BCs that did not fit etc.

I did all my traning on a jacket style BCD, and have just purchased a jacket style BCD, the Seaquest Pro QD.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the "stab jackets". My instructor for my OW course has been using the same jacket style BC for the last 17 years, for 200+ dives a year. its frayed and faded, but still in good enough condition for him to dive in it.

If the stab jackets are rental gear, i wouldnt be too concerened. The shop sounds like it could do with a reality check, or two though.

I know some places require you to have some of your own gear, ie boots, mask etc for hygene reasons, before commencing a course, but there is absolutely no reason to have to buy it from that shop.

look around online. there are quite a few good shops. www.scubatoys.com and www.leisurepro.com. they both offer a great range of gear at pretty darn competitive prices.

just my 2 p.s.i :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom