Stainless or Alum BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my twin steel 15s I use an alumium backplate to avoid over weighting.

With my single tank config, I use the steel bp with weighted STA so that I do not need a weight belt.

I use an aluminum BP for single steel 100's in salt water. This is with a 5mm wetsuit and hooded vest if it's a bit cold. I carry 4# lead with this setup. If I was diving primarily aluminum tanks I would (and did previously) use a 6# SS backplate. It helps to offset the + buoyancy of the AL tank as well as take some lead off your waist. ZG

I have a SS back plate, not sure waht it weight but i would guess 6lb as i could take 6lb off my weightbelt when i started using it.

I have a 2 piece 5mm wetsuit, which has done 300 odd dives so getting a bit thin and lost some of its original buoyancy. WIth a steel 10.9L steel tank I wear 6lb whn wearing the long johns only and 9lb when wearing the full wet suit. With an alloy tank I add 6 lb to this. ANd with no wetsuit i need no weight whatsoever :) which i perfect.

As for ditchable weight, i cannot think of any situation under water where you would want to ditch your weight belt, if you did you would very repidly ascend, get the bends and possibly die!! So the more weight you can take off your weight belt the better I believe.

Hey Guys,
I dive both cold and warm. I decided to go the SS route for the simple fact that in an emergency, I can swim up a six pound backplate, and at the surface the wing can keep me floating. I would rather have the extra four pounds on the plate, since that is the closed to my center of gravity that I can ever get.

Danny

P.S. Saltwater with full 5mm wetsuit with AL's, I wear a total of 6lbs.

With how little weight you ware already an Al backplate sounds like the way to go. It cost less and I have never had a problem with mine, though I dive fresh water. I have a Dive Rite and it works great for me.

I realize its not needed, but using an alum bp with a STA makes it more flexible... You can get an alum bp and sta for about the same price as a SS bp and you have much more options... The sta makes for a more stable mount as well...

by they way... its not the backplate, its the wing that negates the need for a sta.

using heavy doubles, I don't need all that extra weight on my back so I can just use the aluminum bp and not look like a kamikazi in the water.

The alum bp was only $65 and the heavy STA was $65 as well for a total of $130. It actually weighs more than the 6lb SS bp and I have a few more options... Use what you like. I use what works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom