Stainless steel travel backplates: pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you won't have to worry about Dutch Springs much longer. I travel with my Freedom Plate and no problems with carry-on.

So wanted to circle back to this. I'm considering a SS (6 lb) vs Al (1 lb) backplate. Seems like the extra 5 lbs for travel isn't that big a deal? I suppose I would like the extra ballast which would mean little extra weight when diving in tropics, but also useful when I use either a 7mm (or in the future, a drysuit) when I dive in Dutch Springs quarry.

So trying to balance ease of travel with versatility. Thoughts?
I felt the same way...then we went to the keys and had to pay extra weight fees on two checked bags with just scuba gear...they were both over by 4.5 pounds.....that was with our SS BP/W....I have since purchased and Xdeep ghost and an Aluminum BP/W for my GF.....

I don't have any issues traveling with my SS Halcyon plate. As long as my checked bag is less than 50#, who cares?

I just check the **** in And make sure my document, few days minimum clothing, laptop etc are in the carryon.

with a SS BP in warm water in just a rash guard and shorts, I wear no weight. If I need a 3mm, I only wear about 4lbs. It’s kind of nice.

Stainless steel BP and travel in the same sentence is like an oxymoron?

You are using weight, it is just in the form of a plate instead of an ingot of Pb that can be jettisoned (usually). So instead of getting (and leaving) the lead on the boat, you tote it about in your suitcase, to and from the boat and wherever else it and you goes. But you still have the same net ballast and weight.

James

Stainless steel BP and travel in the same sentence is like an oxymoron?

You are using weight, it is just in the form of a plate instead of an ingot of Pb that can be jettisoned (usually). So instead of getting (and leaving) the lead on the boat, you tote it about in your suitcase, to and from the boat and wherever else it and you goes. But you still have the same net ballast and weight.

James
Understood, but the weight is nicely distributed on my back, instead of my hips. Minimizing weight at my hips and hopefully helping my trim?

Oh and btw, I’d think a 30lb wing would be more than adequate for tropical diving with a 3 mm, right? Someone at a LDS said they only use 40lb wings, but they only dive in cold water quarries…..

Oh and btw, I’d think a 30lb wing would be more than adequate for tropical diving with a 3 mm, right? Someone at a LDS said they only use 40lb wings, but they only dive in cold water quarries…..
That would be fine

Back
Top Bottom