Standard Hand Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I taught the wife the way we did our one handed signals....

closed fist is 10s digits, i.e. for 2000 (20)
make a fist and punch down twice....

fingers are one digits.... i.e for 1700
one fist punch and open hand (5) followed by 2 fingers (add 2)

Just another way to communicate......works well for surveying....as well as diving.....

tony

wetman once bubbled...
What is zero in the one handed system? how would you say 40 for example?

steve
Just like the "OK" except make the circle with all four fingers and thumb instead of just the index finger and thumb.
So for 40 you'd hold four fingers vertically, then make the circle with thumb and all four fingers.
Rick

wetman once bubbled...
What is zero in the one handed system? how would you say 40 for example?

steve

Just touch your index finger and thumb, like an OK signal with your fingers down, or how you'd hold a longneck.

Do it twice, OO.

40, llll, O.

70, =, O.

700, =, O, O.

Popeye once bubbled...

This is tough till you get it, but vertical fingers are for 1-5, horizontal fingers for 6-9.

Two vertical fingers are 2, two horizontal fingers is 7 (5+2)

Four horizontal fingers is 9.

Standard cave hand signals for numbers is like the above... I have the illustrations someplace but not handy right now... will look for them.

Of course the usual signals for gas are "I am at one third" Three fingers vertical. "I am at two thirds" turn dive signal. Anything in between, usually just show the spg...

Thanks to Popeye... and hey dude, I like your tattoos... classics

Popeye once bubbled...

Never seen it done that way, and I'd read 5,5,5,2, and think you were narced. :)

I'd be willing to bet this is how 90% of the OW divers I have seen translate air pressures...it can get confusing when they have like 2600 left...5-5-5-5-5-1...almost hypnotic.

This is tough till you get it, but vertical fingers are for 1-5, horizontal fingers for 6-9.

I've never seen it, but I like it....seems pretty simple....although....I am thinking....making a "T" (like time-out with 2 hands) for each 1000psi would be a little less confusable....so 1700 would be "T" followed by =.

I like the vertical/horizontal method, myself, because I'm used to it. We always used it in formation flying to indicate fuel remaining -- even to the same signal for zero. It seems to me to be less ambiguous than some of the other methods.

If I don't understand, I'll look at your gauges.

I used Popeye's method when working in the stock mkt on the Toronto Stock Exchange so that works for me. I don't know how many people know it/use it in my club but I think I'll put forth the suggestion to exec of the club.
I've also seen the IIIII,IIIII,IIIII, II method and the I, IIII II (two hands) for example of 1700 but I think Popeye's method would be the most efficient.

Diverlady

I use both hands.

150bar and above is the ok sign.
100bar is making the "T" sign with both hands for "half"
50 bar is a closed fist next to the chest.

For the in-between numbers, you use your fingers. For example, 120 would be "T"+ 2 fingers (T l l), 130 = T l l l,
60 would be fist + 1 finger, 70= fist + 2 and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom