Started Cert. Class today.. First Day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC State University: PE 226

Take a look at the underwater swim video.

The breath-hold swim was my terror for getting through Fundies. I practiced and practiced, and by the time class came, it was still 50-50 whether I could get to the end or not. I did pass, out of sheer determination, but it was dicey.

Since then, I was introduced to these videos, and I went to the pool and worked on some of the ideas. One tip -- Don't keep your head up and try to see where you are going. It increases your drag significantly. Second, don't try to swim the whole way -- See how much time you can glide. Effort takes oxygen and creates CO2, which makes you want to breathe. The less you can DO to get across the pool, the more comfortable you will be doing it.

I can do 60 routinely now. 75 is still a hit or miss proposition.

It looks like NC State is having problems with the links off of the link you supplied. In other words, the link you supplied works fine but the buttons for Underwater Swim and some other links on that page are broken.

I don't recall that requirement for PADI. Back in the day (i.e. 30 years ago) I could do two full lengths of an olympic pool on a breath....now one if I really push it...guess not too bad for a 50+ year old over weight male...:)

Anyway, the advice you have been given is great. Doing a treadmill or running will also help increase your "air".

Mike

Our open water students do a 75 foot underwater swim, if I can do it you can do it :wink: Follow the breathing technique listed above, 3 nice deep breaths with complete exhales, hold the 4th breath. When you go under get as close to the bottom of the pool as you can, if it has a tile bottom you can stare at one row of tiles while you swim. When you feel the urge to breathe exhale a little bit to lower your CO2 level that will buy you a little time. When you feel the urge to breathe the second time look at the end of the pool, exhale and kick like crazy to get there.

Good luck!
Ber :lilbunny:

When I did my rescue class we again practiced this skill but the instructor made us exhale first saying you will not notice you are out of air on a full breath. Makes a bit of sence I guess seeing if you got a full breath off your reg you would just try the next breath and get none then have to swim for it.

Ok today we did:

-clearing out the mask
-removing the mask and putting it back on
-taking out the breather and putting it back in
-swimming at 10' with scuba gear through under water obsticle course
-water entrys
-and getting out of the water with full gear on..

BREEZED through all of that!

i still gotta do the 60 ft underwater swim with one breath but ill do it this week. Last week i had a bad sinus infection and i could not do any practice. luckly today i was feeling better..

The good thing about this place is that you can go there any time during the 5 week course any time of day and practice in their pool with their equiptment whenever you want!.. ill be there this week practicing!

-c rock

Sounds like a very good class you're taking!

Glad to hear things are going well for you! Now we just have to get you to use the right terms for the equipment :wink: QUIZ: You're calling it a "breather", what's the real name? :D
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom