Started working out, started gaining weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually don't pay attention to my weight as such, just the way I look and feel.

dsteding:
Sounds like you are well on your way . . . exercise is addicting, I've gotten back into working out over the past few months (my second two years of law school got me off exercise for a while) and it really is satisfying.

I'm still trying to get into the "addicted" mode. I still have to force myself to get into the gym and really focus to get through the cardio. I try focusing on my music to get into a zone but soon I start thinking "Geez, am I done yet?" and when I look down I'm usually less than 3 minutes into the workout. By the time 9 minutes rolls around I'm thinking "You're almost halfway there, keep pushing--but I want to GO HOME!" It's really a struggle to keep myself from saying "That's good enough" and quitting half-way through. I go through the workout just wanting it to be over so I can see the results whether that be distance on the cardio or total weight lifted on the machines. I wonder how long it's going to take before I enjoy the "journey" rather than the "destination."
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I'm still trying to get into the "addicted" mode. I still have to force myself to get into the gym and really focus to get through the cardio. I try focusing on my music to get into a zone but soon I start thinking "Geez, am I done yet?" and when I look down I'm usually less than 3 minutes into the workout. By the time 9 minutes rolls around I'm thinking "You're almost halfway there, keep pushing--but I want to GO HOME!" It's really a struggle to keep myself from saying "That's good enough" and quitting half-way through. I go through the workout just wanting it to be over so I can see the results whether that be distance on the cardio or total weight lifted on the machines. I wonder how long it's going to take before I enjoy the "journey" rather than the "destination."

You need more appropriate music. I find that Megadeth tunes are helpful for zoning. There are some rocking White Zombie tunes as well.

Ber Rabbit:
Yesterday was my 6th workout and I have gone from 137.6 pounds to 141.8. I was HOPING I would lose some of the fat that I had accumulated over the last year but it's not happening. What am I doing wrong?

Personal Trainer checking in.... after 6 workouts... that's not enough time to determine whether or not something is working.

Can make a suggestion? Of all the people I train..... this is how they acheive the best results. Weight train 1st, then do your cardio. Make sure to eat a little something before you workout. Reason? You need energy to break down your muscles. Reason for cardio 2nd? Well if you have had something to eat within the last 3 hours or so... the cardio you are doing is just burning through that last meal.... what a waste. When you weight train 1st, you use the food energy, then when you are on cardio you are burning through stored energy... otherwise known as fat.

Also, weight train only 1 major muscle group per week. Your muscle is being torn, or broken down when you lift.... you MUST allow at least 6 days for that muscle to repair itself, then tone and tighten thus gaining strength, tone, whatever. Here is my suggested routine.. or the routine I train my clients on.

chest and tri = Day 1; Back and Bi = Day 2; Shoulders & Abs = Day 3 and finally Legs = Day 4. That is it. No more training beyond that. And never train your lower body and upper body on the same day. For a more detailed explaination just PM me, I'd be happy to offer free advice.

Oh, and remember food = 70% of your success!

Another thing.... don't be afraid to add some lbs of muscle. 1lb of muscle will burn an extra 50Calories a day! This will bring down your fat % quickly!

Good luck.

The average person can only add about 10-15 pounds of muscle in one year; that's w/out chemicals. You are doing well, keep it up. Solid results that last usually show up in a month or two.

Small meals five or six times a day is better than one or two large meals. It keeps your metabolism up which leads to more calorie burning. Meals high in fiber and carbs are good to keep you energized throughout the day. Add 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight. You weigh 140# ~ 70kg --> you should have about 70-100 g of protein per day.

Vitamins/minerals/nutrients are much more readily absorbed (and cheaper) in foods; supplements are okay but should be used to fill in the wholes left by your diet.

Work out your whole body through out your workout week, do not skip areas of your body that you are afraid to build. Many women do not like to workout legs because they are afraid of getting "huge".

Low reps/ high weight = muscle build
High reps/ low weight= muscle tone

Do a combination of both, but lean towards muscle tone.

A proper warmup/cardio is necessary... work up a good sweat. Stretching is important before a workout but it is VITAL after a workout. Swimming easy laps helps cool you off and keep you flexible, also helps with breathing.

Keep at it. Keep at it. Keep at it.

*** FYI; I was studying to be an athletic trainer/physical therapist for a couple of years.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm not afraid of getting huge, my general body make-up probably wouldn't allow that without steroids and I'm not interested in that :wink: My legs/butt have always been one some of my (and others) favorite body parts but they are starting to pick up fat and the day I felt my thighs rub together when I was walking was "the last straw" that finally drove me to the gym.

Whatever I do I have to keep it to a max of 3 days a week, that schedule is going to be hard enough to maintain once I start teaching again in January.

I used to stretch after my workouts rather than before but since I added the weights I don't have time for stretching. I usually just get a little stiff after the work-outs not actually sore. I would love to spend a lot of time stretching, it's always been one of my favorite things but if trips to the gym start getting terribly time consuming I know I'll quit going. I like to finish what I start and if I don't have enough time to do my whole workout schedule I tend to figure there's no point in doing part of it so I skip it that day and once I start skipping it's WAY too easy to quit altogether. Motivation has always been my biggest problem :(

Right now I'm trying to get to the point where I enjoy working out. I need a lot of "carrots" to keep me going at the moment and short workouts, no matter how hard, that get results are yummy carrots :lilbunny:

I did go last night and get an extra cardio workout in and I actually managed to go 30 minutes on an easier program on the elliptical and was actually 10 minutes into it before I started wondering when I would be done. I'll do my weights today and Friday then again on Tuesday and that will meet or exceed their required minimum of 9 workouts completed prior to starting the next phase of the program next Thursday.

Wayward Son:
It takes testosterone to make big muscles. A woman who isn't getting azz shots is not going to bulk up significantly. You WILL put on muscle, you just won't bulk up like a man will. And even a man isn't going to seriously bulk up without a lot of T in his system.

Very true.... Most of the women I train say they don't want to get bulky. I laugh at that statement. It's possible for women to get bulky, but they have to train so much harder for that to happen, and if their genetics don't support that kind of training... forget it.... unless they shoot a little, then sure bulk will come... and so will an adams apple... lovely!

Most of intense weight training on women results in sexy tone... what could be better? Building the muscle will also assist in the burning of fat.. bit of a snowball effect really. Once you get rolling the fat comes off, the muscle stays. You just need to be consistant. Make it a part of your weekly routine. It's not that bad..... I actually have a hard time taking a few days off now.

Good luck!

Ber Rabbit:
Right now I'm trying to get to the point where I enjoy working out. I need a lot of "carrots" to keep me going at the moment and short workouts, no matter how hard, that get results are yummy carrots :lilbunny:

:

Carrots...now you're talking....mmmm. I go through cycles on and off maybe two or three times a year, where I enjoy it....and times where it's a chore and I make myself do it...like tonight's going to be....but it's always worth it afterwards because it always makes me feel good. That's the other "carrot" besides the juice. :D
And for me, going to a gym....well, it's not for me. I have a bowflex in my living room making me feel guilty about lying there and watching TV. If I didn't go swimming and spearing, I'd think about getting a stationary bike for cardio.
My son left me a couple Flex magazines. If you're into body building, there are lots of tips about diets.....which means eat 6 times a day.....and how to incorporate eating with exercise for maximum muscle gain and fat reduction.

Back
Top Bottom