Starting a dive company at 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First started at age 12 in 1967. Dove until 1987 before I got certified. Never went through an OW course. Just traded a pony bottle to an instructor for a card and took a written test.
Now I have a bunch of C cards.

Did an intro dive back when I was 24, got certified when I was 38, became an Instructor and was teaching and leading dives in Kona by 40, started my shore diving company a 43 bought a boat two years later... Now I'm 50.

I am just curious as to how old everyone was when they started getting involved in scuba diving or when they started a dive shop, company, etc...

How old were you?...10?...30?...60?

Certified at 18 I'm 42 now (a fact that my mind still refuses to fully accept :shakehead:)

In the years that I logged my dives I averaged about 50-odd a year. I "went pro" in 2002 or 2003 and since then I've become considerably more active as I go.

I've always wanted to dive more than I was able to. When I was younger my main hindrance to diving more was money. Now my main issue is time... I only manage to make about 80-90 dives a year now I think. I'd like to get that up to about 150 but it would result in an unhappy partner and children who wonder who that guy is....

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom