Starting to Doubt Oceanic Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaserm99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me start out by saying all i have ever owned is an oceanic computer, i like that they are usually the easiest to use and have generally never had any problems with them.

Ive owned

Veo 180
Pro Plus 2
Atom 2
VT3
Datamask
GEO 2
OC1

The Veo 180 i never had any problems with it until it was left in a hot car, oceanic still honored the warranty, My pro plus 2 i never had any issues with, probably one of my favorite computers.

The Atom 2 and VT3 i only used for about a about a year and a half but had no issues with these.

Here is where the issues start

The first Datamask i ordered had the computer flood on the first dive i ever complete with it, was very upset, oceanic replaced it under warranty, but then a few months later i was in the pool teaching a class when it flooded again. At that moment i was upset with it and did not want to deal with it anymore so it was sent back to oceanic and replaced with an OC1.

The first OC1 i recieved had an issue with one of the buttons as it was unable to be pushed in and work. It was sent back and replaced with another OC1. The next oc1 i received worked wonderfully until early this year when it would not turn on at all, it was sent back to oceanic and they replaced it with another unit.

The 3rd OC1 that i received would not connect with the transmitter at all, i tried to replace the transmitter battery but it would still not connect.

Recently this unit was sent back to oceanic along with the transmitter, im waiting to see what happens this time.

Now onto my geo 2, this computer worked wonderfully until a few weeks ago when i was working out and all of the sudden i realized that the computer had just exited a dive, it says that i was down 30 feet when i was at the gym working out, the only reason i noticed this was that i looked down to see what time it was and noticed that it was doing its countdown time.

Needless to say i am starting to look at some other companies computers as i am starting to lose faith with the oceanic units as the last 3 styles of computers i have had just seem to be issue prone.

I'm starting to feel that way too. The previous gen stuff got me hooked on Oceanic. VT3 was awesome, never an issue.

I have all sorts of problem with my Atom 3.0

I'm starting to feel that way too. The previous gen stuff got me hooked on Oceanic. VT3 was awesome, never an issue.

I have all sorts of problem with my Atom 3.0

One thing though... I have to admit they have a fantastic customer support crew. I'm glad they have a good hiring process to hire the right people. Props to Royce at Oceanic.

I want to echo the OP's original comments. I don't have anywhere near the extensive history with the Oceanic computers, but I have a Suunto Vyper that has worked flawlessly, and my 16 month-old Oceanic Atom 2.0 is on its way back to Oceanic for its third warranty repair. On top of that I have been unable in the last month to get Oceanic to respond to me to get the Atom repaired, so I finally sent it back through my local dive shop. I am ready to abandon the Oceanic line but have an investment in the wireless transmitters and guess I will give them one more chance. Any feedback on the experience of others would be welcomed.

It may be the luck of the draw. Too bad they don't publish stats. But I had Honda's with engine failure and every fluid leak known to man kind after 50k miles and because of that I'll never drive another Honda, and Hondas probably have good stats in a global perspective.

My experience was very negative. I had a Veo180 that got stuck in a software loop. The computer acts as if the button is being held down. After searching the web, it seems that this was a very common problem that was never fixed. I have a dozen links to different forums where people describe this phenomenon. The only fix is to send the computer in so Oceanic can reinstall the firmware at a cost of around $100.

On top of this issue, I have had two oceanic SPGs die in the last year (each less than 3 years old). One of them developed a leak and the other one flooded (poorly sealed I guess).

After these experiences, I have decided to replace my remaining Oceanic gear with that of another brand.

My experience was very negative. I had a Veo180 that got stuck in a software loop. The computer acts as if the button is being held down. After searching the web, it seems that this was a very common problem that was never fixed. I have a dozen links to different forums where people describe this phenomenon. The only fix is to send the computer in so Oceanic can reinstall the firmware at a cost of around $100.

On top of this issue, I have had two oceanic SPGs die in the last year (each less than 3 years old). One of them developed a leak and the other one flooded (poorly sealed I guess).

After these experiences, I have decided to replace my remaining Oceanic gear with that of another brand.

While I have had problems with Pelagic (Oceanic) computers and moved to another brand years ago, the failure of 2 SPGs in 3 years is IMO just very bad luck. I am fairly certain that Oceanic outsources their SPG's as does most every other "manufacturer". In more than 4000 dives of my own, plus at least 500 by others using my equipment, I have had exactly 2 SPGs fail. Actually, I still have 2 old Dacor SPG's in service since the '80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom