State Dept is Relaxing Parts of the Travel Warning for Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The US Consulate in PDC will reopen on Monday and "U.S. government employees must avoid five neighborhoods in and around a downtown tourist zone filled with hotels, restaurants, shops and bars." but the widespread ban has been "narrowed".

Government workers are still prohibited from taking ferries between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, and it recommended that U.S. citizens avoid them as well; see below:

US Narrows Travel Alert for Mexico's Playa del Carmen

MEXICO CITY —

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has narrowed its travel warning for the Caribbean resort city of Playa del Carmen amid what it calls an unspecified "ongoing security threat'' just as the spring holiday season is kicking into high gear.

In a notice posted Friday on its website, the embassy also said the U.S. Consular Agency in the city would reopen and resume normal operations Monday after a shutdown of several days — "absent additional changes in the security situation.''

The revised restrictions say U.S. government employees must avoid five neighborhoods in and around a downtown tourist zone filled with hotels, restaurants, shops and bars.

Blanket ban ended

But they lifted a blanket ban issued this week for the city that had covered several all-inclusive resorts. The embassy said employee travel was now permitted "to resort areas in Riviera Maya including those near Playa del Carmen that are outside the restricted neighborhoods.''

After the first travel alert Wednesday, Mexican officials came out to defend public safety in Playa del Carmen, apparently concerned about a possible hit to tourism in one of the country's most traveled regions.

The Quintana Roo state government noted that President Enrique Pena Nieto and dignitaries from around the globe were convening there for the World Ocean Summit on March 7-9, saying tourist activity was normal in the city with hotel occupancy at 80 percent.

Parts of Mexico's Caribbean coast, which also includes the resorts of Cancun and Tulum, have been hit by drug violence, albeit infrequently, and the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel has been moving into Quintana Roo.

But the exact nature of the new threat was not clear, and the embassy said it was separate from incidents involving ferries on the route between Playa del Carmen and the nearby island of Cozumel.

Ferry blast

A February 21 explosion on a ferry injured 26 people, including several American citizens. What appeared to be explosives were later found attached to the underside of another vessel operated by the same company, Barcos Caribe.

Both incidents are under investigation.

The U.S. Embassy said government workers were still prohibited from taking ferries between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, and it recommended that U.S. citizens avoid them as well.

Mexico's National Security Commission said Saturday that 60 federal police officers and four sniffer dogs trained to detect weapons, explosives and narcotics had been deployed to bolster security at the maritime terminals of Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

It said in a statement that they would be tasked with searching and watching over ferries and guarding cargo zones, waiting areas and docks.

The US Consulate in PDC will reopen on Monday and "U.S. government employees must avoid five neighborhoods in and around a downtown tourist zone filled with hotels, restaurants, shops and bars." but the widespread ban has been "narrowed".

Government workers are still prohibited from taking ferries between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, and it recommended that U.S. citizens avoid them as well; see below:

US Narrows Travel Alert for Mexico's Playa del Carmen

MEXICO CITY —

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has narrowed its travel warning for the Caribbean resort city of Playa del Carmen amid what it calls an unspecified "ongoing security threat'' just as the spring holiday season is kicking into high gear.

In a notice posted Friday on its website, the embassy also said the U.S. Consular Agency in the city would reopen and resume normal operations Monday after a shutdown of several days — "absent additional changes in the security situation.''

The revised restrictions say U.S. government employees must avoid five neighborhoods in and around a downtown tourist zone filled with hotels, restaurants, shops and bars.

Blanket ban ended

But they lifted a blanket ban issued this week for the city that had covered several all-inclusive resorts. The embassy said employee travel was now permitted "to resort areas in Riviera Maya including those near Playa del Carmen that are outside the restricted neighborhoods.''

After the first travel alert Wednesday, Mexican officials came out to defend public safety in Playa del Carmen, apparently concerned about a possible hit to tourism in one of the country's most traveled regions.

The Quintana Roo state government noted that President Enrique Pena Nieto and dignitaries from around the globe were convening there for the World Ocean Summit on March 7-9, saying tourist activity was normal in the city with hotel occupancy at 80 percent.

Parts of Mexico's Caribbean coast, which also includes the resorts of Cancun and Tulum, have been hit by drug violence, albeit infrequently, and the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel has been moving into Quintana Roo.

But the exact nature of the new threat was not clear, and the embassy said it was separate from incidents involving ferries on the route between Playa del Carmen and the nearby island of Cozumel.

Ferry blast

A February 21 explosion on a ferry injured 26 people, including several American citizens. What appeared to be explosives were later found attached to the underside of another vessel operated by the same company, Barcos Caribe.

Both incidents are under investigation.

The U.S. Embassy said government workers were still prohibited from taking ferries between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, and it recommended that U.S. citizens avoid them as well.

Mexico's National Security Commission said Saturday that 60 federal police officers and four sniffer dogs trained to detect weapons, explosives and narcotics had been deployed to bolster security at the maritime terminals of Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

It said in a statement that they would be tasked with searching and watching over ferries and guarding cargo zones, waiting areas and docks.

Well I think that our answer is in that warning - Mexican president was in Playa March 7-9 and is probably more hated my MX citizens than Trump! This would have created some high security alerts I imagine - of course they won’t admit that. Just my theory!!!!

Anybody have any updates on these ferries? Safe for divers? I'll be on the mainland next week and trying to decide where to dive. I'll be in between Puerto Morelos and PdC.

Anybody have any updates on these ferries? Safe for divers? I'll be on the mainland next week and trying to decide where to dive. I'll be in between Puerto Morelos and PdC.
Took the ferry from PDC to Cozumel last evening. Hundreds of customers -- seemed totally safe to me. Only downside was on my first time to Cozumel last summer fare was $5 U.S. during a "price war", but now up to $9 !!!! Still a deal.

We spent 4 nights in Playa after our week in Cozumel in May and had the best time ever! We stayed downtown in the tourist area and walked...and walked...and walked all around downtown. No issues whatsoever.

In fact, it was so much fun and we found such great restaurants that we'll be repeating the same trip in 3 weeks. Ferry included.

I'm sure the ferry that blew up seemed totally safe to all the passengers on it. Until it blew up.

Passengers were not targeted and I believe that passengers are safe and always have been safe.

That said, I often say the feeling safe and being safe are two different things. Feeling safe often has more to do with your perceptions than the reality. Your phobias, past bad experiences, and anxiety over unfamiliarity does not mean that you are unsafe. Conversely, your blissful ignorance and failure to recognize danger does not mean you are safe.

2 dozen passengers on the ferry were injured by the bomb explosion. They were not "always safe" and it's irrelevant that they weren't specifically targeted.

There has been EXTENSIVE discussion and coverage on this. While I don't make light of it, it is not an ongoing threat. It was an isolated incident and the threat has been removed.

Not sure where you're from, but last time I checked, the United States was much more dangerous than our peaceful little island. In the United States, DAILY multiple random murders, daily armed robberies, terrorist attacks, daily gang violence, daily drive by shootings, monthly school shootings, mall stabbings, theater shootings, mass shootings at concerts, daily domestic violence, daily drug related crimes, protest violence etc. shall I continue? All of that - in fact A LOT of it - doesn't hit the news. But anything at all that happens here creates fear and makes it "unsafe" to visit without even having any factual information, only speculation and hearsay? Who is living in reality and who is fear mongering?

The REALITY is that there are bad people and crime everywhere. I mitigate my risk by staying alert, not making myself a target, not selling drugs, not purchasing drugs, not associating with drug dealers, etc. Of course, regardless of where you are or who you are, we can be victims of crime simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time - that can happen ANYWHERE in this world and it happens regularly in the United States.

I bet the concert goers in Vegas didn't know what they were walking into - NO ONE did! I bet all of those elementary, middle school, high school and college kids didn't think they were unsafe on those tragic days walking into schools - but they were. It's no different.

I'll take this peaceful island any day of the week!

Last edited:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom