state of similian's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storm1fishing

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dived the similian's this year and if so where and what were the dives like.
I want to dive there in the next month or so , but have had conflicting reports about the state of the corals , fish and overall condition of the reefs.:huh:

I dived the Similans in December.

There was a limited amount Sunami of damage on a couple of reefs but obviously our guides avoided those that may have had more.

In general the only serious thing I noticed was the lack of growth on Elephant Head. Although it is a site known mostly for it's towering granite boulders this was matched the previous year by some pretty good plant life as well.

Otherwise the vis was generally 30metres+, the fish were plentiful and there was a good array of big stuff. I saw several different shark species including a couple of Nurse sharks, turtles, Whip rays, and a huge Manta at Koh Bon.

Still one of the World's best dive sites IMO.

Cheers

no worries, similian still rocks even after the tsunami, run in with some heavy rains during this past november but overall the dive was still enjoyable

Don't worry, the dive-operators will take you to the divesites that are beautifull and full of fish, some parts are damaged, but there are still plenty of dive-sites in the similans where there's no change after the Tsunami, enough to do a liveaboard for at least 4 days with different divesites all the time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom