Staying in Ambergris Caye Aug 13-20 - Some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikem17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
My wife and I will be staying at Matachica Resort Aug 13-20 and we're looking forward to some great diving.

Few questions for those who have been to the area before, if you wouldn't mind:
1) Blue hole - Can it be enjoyed without having a tech diving background? I've heard mixed opinions on this subject, so I'm curious what you all think. While my wife and I have done a couple DECO dives, we are not tech divers, and what I've heard is that in order to really enjoy this dive, you need to able to dive 150-200ft.

2) Which dive resort would you recommend given our location? (about half way up the eastern coast). Things we'd prefer from a diveshop, but aren't critical: 1) Pickup/Dropoff; 2) Gear Storage

3) Wildlife - any good wildlife that we should be sure to see that time of year? Whale sharks? Rays? etc?

4) Any other recommendations or advice?

Information about us:
Rescue Divers - both
100+ dives
Dove in Cozumel, Thailand, Bahamas, Zihuatanejo, Hawaii, Aruba, Cancun, and Jamaica

Thanks all!
Mike

Last edited:
Few questions for those who have been to the area before, if you wouldn't mind:
1) Blue hole - Can it be enjoyed without having a tech diving background? I've heard mixed opinions on this subject, so I'm curious what you all think. While my wife and I have done a couple DECO dives, we are not tech divers, and what I've heard is that in order to really enjoy this dive, you need to able to dive 150-200ft.

Wow. Leave the Blue Hole out. You should have your AOW & more diving experience than you have unless you just do a shallow dive there. Recreational Limits for PADI are 130 ft. See: Why is the Recreational Diving Limit 40m / 130ft?

Wow. Leave the Blue Hole out. You should have your AOW & more diving experience than you have unless you just do a shallow dive there. Recreational Limits for PADI are 130 ft. See: Why is the Recreational Diving Limit 40m / 130ft?

Thanks Lthomas132. However, I probably wasn't clear. My wife and I both have 100+ dives and both have rescue diver certs. We are looking to stay in rec dive limits as, since I've stated above, we are not tech divers.

However, it does sound, based on your response, like you're confirming what I've heard - that Blue Hole isn't worthwhile unless you're tech. Is this accurate?

Last edited:
my advice is get your attitude under control. You gave just enough info in your first post to suggest you are a newbie. Someone gives you sound advice based on given info and you call him a troll. stay away from ambergris caye as the nice people there dont need such treatment.

my advice is get your attitude under control. You gave just enough info in your first post to suggest you are a newbie. Someone gives you sound advice based on given info and you call him a troll. stay away from ambergris caye as the nice people there dont need such treatment.

With all due respect, I am failing to see what clues were there that I was a newb. 1) under my user name, it says I've done 50-99 dives. 2) I said I've done DECO dives. 3) I said I'd prefer GEAR storage. Don't the combination of the three of those clue you in to an experienced diver (or at a minimum 50-99 dives)?

Still, perhaps I'm just confused here. The tone of his response sounded quite trolling to me - generally you don't start a response with "Wow, leave the blue hole out" if you're not trying to be instigating. But, alas, it seems I'm the one in the wrong here. My sincere apologies to both of you. Contrary to your current judgements, I am quite a nice person, maybe my temper got the best of me this morning.

Would be great, if we could at least get some advice on the questions we had above though.

I think you should do the Blue Hole. The dive plan is to 130', where you'll weave your way around some very large stalactites and possibly see some sharks. It's a short dive but I enjoy it. And it's only the first dive of a 3 tank day. The two follow-up dives are outstanding! ! Plus lunch on an idyllic island. You won't be disappointed.

Elbert at White Sands Diving can probably take care of you up at Mata Chica.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday!

Last edited:
Thanks Lthomas132. However, I probably wasn't clear. My wife and I both have 100+ dives and both have rescue diver certs. We are looking to stay in rec dive limits as, since I've stated above, we are not tech divers.

However, it does sound, based on your response, like you're confirming what I've heard - that Blue Hole isn't worthwhile unless you're tech. Is this accurate?

Not in my opinion. If you want to see underwater stalagmites/stalactites dive a few cenotes in Quintana Roo. It's a very long boat ride to the hole but Half Moon Caye is a stop and is very nice.

.People either like the blue hole or consider it a waste of time. spend some time looking at it on youtube or instagram to see if it works for you. you are going at the very tail end of the WS season so that might be iffy. There is the odd chance that someone here came back recently from a trip which is what you need. The local dive masters will know where to go and what they have seen recently.

I have done the Blue Hole trip twice, and on neither dive did I reach 130 feet. I keep reading about these dives being to 150-200 feet, and I have trouble believing it. Tech training is not necessary.

That dive itself is not worth it, IMO. You get something like 7 minutes of bottom time, and you see some cave formations. Meh.

On the other hand, the rest of the trip is pretty good. You usually get two very good dives at Half Moon Cay on the trip, and you do a surface interval on the island, where you get to go to an excellent bird observatory where you see boobies and frigate birds nesting within a few feet of you.

I led a dive trip to Ambergris Cay a few years ago, and the group voted to do the Blue Hole trip, even though I give a mild recommendation against it. When I surveyed them after the trip, they listed that as the highlight of the week, even the Blue Hole itself (which I find boring).

4) Any other recommendations or advice?...

Just that when the winds are down the mosquitos and sand fleas can be ferocious; bring and use insect repellent. I also like Allegra anti-itch ointment because it is the best IMO for treating bites when you failed to avoid getting bitten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom