Staying in Ambergris Caye Aug 13-20 - Some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the bars and restaurants are up and ready and those that aren't will be by tomorrow.

Glad you are still going. Have you considered asking them if there's anything you could bring down in your luggage they might need to rebuild? Something as simple as stainless steel deck screws might be a big help in rebuilding a dock and hard for them to get at this time.

Hi All,
My wife and I will be staying at Matachica Resort Aug 13-20 and we're looking forward to some great diving.

Few questions for those who have been to the area before, if you wouldn't mind:
1) Blue hole - Can it be enjoyed without having a tech diving background? I've heard mixed opinions on this subject, so I'm curious what you all think. While my wife and I have done a couple DECO dives, we are not tech divers, and what I've heard is that in order to really enjoy this dive, you need to able to dive 150-200ft.

2) Which dive resort would you recommend given our location? (about half way up the eastern coast). Things we'd prefer from a diveshop, but aren't critical: 1) Pickup/Dropoff; 2) Gear Storage

3) Wildlife - any good wildlife that we should be sure to see that time of year? Whale sharks? Rays? etc?

4) Any other recommendations or advice?

Information about us:
Rescue Divers - both
100+ dives
Dove in Cozumel, Thailand, Bahamas, Zihuatanejo, Hawaii, Aruba, Cancun, and Jamaica

Thanks all!
Mike
you may want to check the resort - some parts were really damaged last week

Sorry, I've been a bit out of touch and haven't been paying attention. Much of this is news to me, but here is what Iv'e gathered - can you confirm or deny these statements?

1) Ecologic divers is no longer there
2) Damage to Matachica Resort

Onvacation - you said you're now diving with Chuck and Robbies? I'll have a look into them. Thanks!

Best part of Blue Hole are pics of it from the air. To me it was enjoyable, but not worth the trek.

Email triton underwater adventures. Monty is the guy to speak to. (Monty@tritonadventures.com) Did the blue hole in May with them. Worked out perfect. The second dive Half Moon Caye is incredible and it's probably followed by the aquarium. Great day trip. You can also to the Turneffe trip.... ( the elbow is the most famous dive site.... Also jack sparrow is pretty cool) I am going back on Wednesday to do some more diving with them. The blue hole is definitely an 8 minute rec dive. You kick down instead of descend naturally. Tell them Matt sent you and they will take care of you.

Chuck and Robbies are still there. My buddy Loidy is one of the DMs there.

Yes, Mikem, Ecologic is completely a wash. We are diving with Chuck and Robbie. We told them we want to go to the blue hole. I don't know if we will be going directly with them or if they will sign us up with another group. Our plan is to dive 2-3 times a day starting Sunday.
And Willis, I have in fact mentioned to Nellie at Paradise to let me know if she needs anything

you may want to check the resort - some parts were really damaged last week

For what it's worth, I've heard that it's only Mata Chica's beach bar that took the big hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom