Staying in PDC: dive Cozumel or cenote?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Cozumel is reef diving. It's pretty reef diving, but you can do reef diving in any number of places.

The cenotes are unique. You will not have an opportunity to dive them anywhere else. You may not be thrilled with your dives, but at least you will have dived somewhere that most people will never see, and at least you will know whether that kind of diving captures your imagination or not.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! We still haven't decided what our plan will be, but I appreciate the advice and suggestions. Our dive last night was in 6° water (47° fahrenheit) with low visibility and only rocks and a couple of fish to see--I can't wait for PDC no matter where we end up diving!

I've done the cenotes once, and that was plenty for me. I personally find them boring - barren lifeless holes in the ground. But then again, I also don't much like wreck diving, while I know that others love it. If it was my choice, I'd dive the reefs on Cozumel every day. But it really depends on what you want.

+1 for cenotes

I just got back from a trip to Riviera Maya under similar circumstances, big family trip, limited time for diving.

We dove at the Chacmool Kukulkan and Little Brother cenotes. The views were stunning, where you'd be in the dark, with glimpses of blue areas lit up. Being in the dark never bothers me, because you have a torch, but the halocines I found to be a bit scary, but exhilarating. The best part was on our second dive, we surfaced inside an air pocket of the cave, where there was a huge tree root that had made its way down to the water. I'd highly recommend it for the experience.

Here is a short video from our dives Diving in the Mexican Cenotes on Vimeo

We will just miss you, Rick. We arrive the 9th and leave the 16th. Would've been fun to meet up with another ScubaBoard member.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom