Staying in Playa, diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Wierd, I KNOW I posted a response to this same question a few weeks ago...can't find it. Did this threead get lost in one of the crashes?

Yup, either this post or something very similar was on the Mexico board.

With such a limited amount of time, I would dive with one of the PDC dive shops. I second the recommendation for Tank-Ha. We dove with them in February, and had two great dives. Everything I've read has said that the shore diving in Cozumel is mediocre, at best; but Christi would be the best source for that info.

divebrasil:
Hi, I will in PDC for a short time but I am very excited as the date approaches. My GF gave me a trip for Memorial Day weekend.

We will be staying in Playa del Carmen, arriving at 11am on Saturday and coming back Monday night.

I am trying to fit some dives in the schedule and still trying to decide what to do with the limited time I will have in the area.

Do dive the best of cozumel, is it possible to leave from PDC with the Dive Op, dive in cozumel and be taken back to PDC? Or do I have to go to Cozumel, meet a DIve Ops there and go diving with them from Cozumel?

Do you think I might find any dive ops doing dives on late afternoon or saturday night?

As far as sunday, I was actually thinking of doing the cenotes in dos ojos. I heard it's a oppotunity I should miss, as it's amazing.

What are your suggestions? Let's say it's YOU going to the PDC area for the first time, for just 3 days, and wanna squeeze some cool dives there.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

I'll post this again...but I am certain i posted it before.

Arrival on a Saturday in Cancun makes Cozumel diving on Saturday next to impossible.

Your only option to dive Cozumel would be Sunday, and MOST shops do not offer Sunday afternoon dives, only morning dives on Sundays. Additioanlly, if flying on Monday, afternoon dives on Sunday would not be at all advisable.

I highly doubt you will find a PDC shop offering a Cozumel trip on Sunday, that's something you would have to check into. However, I STILL recommend diving Cozumel with a Cozumel operator vs. a PDC operator.

Sunday morning dives in Cozumel would require you to take the early ferry from PDC...there is not a 7:00 ferry, so the 6:00am ferry would be the only one to get you here in time for most departures unless you make special arrangements with a dive shop and can get them to move their departure time back so you can take the 8:00 ferry...but the other divers would have to agree to a later departure.

You MIGHT be able to go to someplace like Hidden Worlds on Saturday afternoon and get your cenote dives in, but I would say that your safer bet would be to do an afternoon boat dive with a PDCshop on Saturday.

If you are flying on Monday, obviously you can't dive Monday morning.

I'd say your diving options are limited at best with such a short weekend.

If you get to Playa early enough do the Cenote. Take the ferry over to Coz Sat. night, get a room in town for about $40, do a great 2 tank morning dive with a good operator. Take ferry back to Playa and off Gas the rest of the day on the beach. Great dinner on Sunday at any place in Playa, fly back Mon.

Try www.bluextseadivers.com, www.bottomtimedivers.net, www.liquidbluedivers.com
all have small fast boats and great divemasters.

Are ther hotels on Coz that offer unlimited shore diving from their beach? Do you have to pay for a package:
I stayed at Hotel Cozumel. "Unlimited" shore diving @ $6 per tank. But one daytime dive was more than enough. Nightime is a different story....cool dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom