Steel 72 Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what the hydro and/or filling requirements are in the US - but import some of these babies from the UK and you'll love them.

If they don't have a DOT stamp, they can't be Hydro'd in the US.

Will you need to ask your self why do you want 72s there nice tanks but can you do a tech 1 dive on them what if you want to do a tech 2 dive. I used a set of 72 when i frist got in to dubs but when i went to buy my frist set i looked at what i need for gas on the dives i know ill be doing soon and went with 100s. As for dir the smallest set you can use are 80s and still thats not much gas when you take out rock bottom for a deco dive and even less when you do a back gas deco dive. But from the gue cave divers they fell that the lp 104 and hp 130 are the only tanks to use for anytype of diving me on the other hand say hell no to the beach dive with my 130. FYI if you want to take a gue class most will be in twin 100s or bigger becouse of the amount of time under youll be looking at 3 dives in one day for 40 mins at 20 to 30 feet and then going up talking about it going back down so make your your set can last you atleast 2 hrs at 30 feet with a working load or you class mates will po at you :wink:. good luck and i hope you have fun with your dubs

Will you need to ask your self why do you want 72s there nice tanks but can you do a tech 1 dive on them what if you want to do a tech 2 dive. I used a set of 72 when i frist got in to dubs but when i went to buy my frist set i looked at what i need for gas on the dives i know ill be doing soon and went with 100s. As for dir the smallest set you can use are 80s and still thats not much gas when you take out rock bottom for a deco dive and even less when you do a back gas deco dive. But from the gue cave divers they fell that the lp 104 and hp 130 are the only tanks to use for anytype of diving me on the other hand say hell no to the beach dive with my 130. FYI if you want to take a gue class most will be in twin 100s or bigger becouse of the amount of time under youll be looking at 3 dives in one day for 40 mins at 20 to 30 feet and then going up talking about it going back down so make your your set can last you atleast 2 hrs at 30 feet with a working load or you class mates will po at you :wink:. good luck and i hope you have fun with your dubs

Great info Matt and everyone. Bigger is not always better. I have a set of 100's that I used in Fundies and an even larger set of doubles that I do deeper dives with (my gas consumption is not super). I am contemplating the 72 for training dives for many of the reasons outlined above by all.

It looks like I picked up the last set of Highland bands that TDL had for the 72's. I hope I like them. Everyone's comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.

I'm calling BS on the "smallest DIR tanks are 80s." That is simply false. There are many divers out here GUE trained and AG trained (even AG GUE trained) who use the double 72s for certain dives.

Personally, they're fantastic for the breakwater. 140 cuft is plenty for a dive with a max depth of 60'. Plus you get lightweight redundancy...and they just settle in the water so nice.

I have double X7-100's and double steel 72's and both share the same tank factor. The steel 72's are a lot lighter and a few pounds less bouyant so a 5 lb v-weight gets added to make up the difference. They trim very nice as well.

I have had inattentive tank monkeys fill them to 3000 (where they will hold 86.3 cu ft each) and I will fill them to 2800 (about 2600 when cool). At 2600 psi they hold 74.8 cu ft each, or 149.6 cu ft when doubled.

If you filled them to the same overfill percentage as a North Florida filled LP 95 (also a 3AA steel tank), they would be filled to 3250 psi and would hold 93.5cu ft each/187 cu ft doubled.

They are not something I'd go to 200' with but for the average 110-130' wreck dive with 30% Nitrox where the captain is not real interested in divers doing 20-30 minutes of deco they work well and for training dives in the quarry with an air fill, they are just about perfect. And they are comparatively cheap to put together so they leave the sets of 100's free to be tied up with trimix waiting for the next deep dive.

I do just about the same as Aquamaster. They are just great tanks in the 60-100 foot range. Pluss, with the old crossover I can do this.

Attachments

• TWINS.jpg
    TWINS.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 122
I own 12 aluminum 80's and wish they were all 72's now that I own a pair of 72's. I got a great deal on mine of $25 each out of hydro and without valves. I keep watching for more as they are much nicer than 80's and hold more gas when filled to 3k psi. there is no reason not to band them together unless the volume of gas is going to be an issue however anyone with a SAC in the .30's-.40's should handle a set of 72's fine I would think for most general dives above 100'

I'm calling BS on the "smallest DIR tanks are 80s." That is simply false. There are many divers out here GUE trained and AG trained (even AG GUE trained) who use the double 72s for certain dives.

Personally, they're fantastic for the breakwater. 140 cuft is plenty for a dive with a max depth of 60'. Plus you get lightweight redundancy...and they just settle in the water so nice.

here is the what gue says you need for tech 1

1. "Tanks/Cylinders: Students are required to use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows the use of two first-stages. All dives must start with a minimum of 80 cubic feet/2250 liters of gas. Divers must also have access to one deco tank/cylinder of 50% Nitrox. "
all so one of my very close friends who more then likey will become a gue instructor this mouth told me that so im perty sure ill take his word over yours.

now that being said there is nothing worng with a set of 72 for your frist set but i wouldnt use them on a 150 ft dive are even a 100 ft dive for 40 mins.

why not use an H-Valves for lightweight redundancy on a 60 foot dive and this fight can go on for ever becouse ever dir person has be told by another dir person somthing differnt and so on so on so i will ask JJ the end of this mouth when i have a class with him what the smallest set of dubs are for gue and pm you that info.

The big thing for me is i dont like to wast money now you can save the manifold and use it later but the bands are done with but if your buying new tanks look at tanks that you can use on a 150 foot dive or look at what type of diving your going to be in the next 5 years and ask your self do i want to spend money on 72s when in a year or even less time youll be putting them aside and buying bigger tanks

ps rainman_02 is very smart and knows alot about dir and this is the frist time iv read somthing of his and not be on the same side :10:

here is the what gue says you need for tech 1

1. "Tanks/Cylinders: Students are required to use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows the use of two first-stages. All dives must start with a minimum of 80 cubic feet/2250 liters of gas. Divers must also have access to one deco tank/cylinder of 50% Nitrox. "
all so one of my very close friends who more then likey will become a gue instructor this mouth told me that so im perty sure ill take his word over yours.

now that being said there is nothing worng with a set of 72 for your frist set but i wouldnt use them on a 150 ft dive are even a 100 ft dive for 40 mins.

why not use an H-Valves for lightweight redundancy on a 60 foot dive and this fight can go on for ever becouse ever dir person has be told by another dir person somthing differnt and so on so on so i will ask JJ the end of this mouth when i have a class with him what the smallest set of dubs are for gue and pm you that info.

The big thing for me is i dont like to wast money now you can save the manifold and use it later but the bands are done with but if your buying new tanks look at tanks that you can use on a 150 foot dive or look at what type of diving your going to be in the next 5 years and ask your self do i want to spend money on 72s when in a year or even less time youll be putting them aside and buying bigger tanks

ps rainman_02 is very smart and knows alot about dir and this is the frist time iv read somthing of his and not be on the same side :10:

What do T1 standards have to do with what doubles I use on recreational dives? If someone wants to go tool around at 50' in double 72s, I assure you, it can be done DIR. Just as it can be done in a single 72...

What do T1 standards have to do with what doubles I use on recreational dives? If someone wants to go tool around at 50' in double 72s, I assure you, it can be done DIR. Just as it can be done in a single 72...

yes that is true. i have nothing worng with dub 72 i person woundnt buy a set. i posted that for what the class asked you to have not to say dont dive them if you over fill them then they are dub 80s. And to what i said before this fight can go on and on i told the op how i feel and dont like bs thow at me or other things when i say things i read and are told by gue traind ppl ag is not as hard when it comes to the way you dive ie light card can be over and under gue is over only.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom