Renting doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess being that guy that shows up to the aldora boat in a drysuit and twins would be overkill.
Ha! Last year I had several days of diving with Aldora where a couple on the boat had doubles, and 2 days diving with Liquid Blue with a couple in drysuits. A wee bit of a hassle, particularly getting the tanks in place first thing in the morning, but really not a big deal for either operator or the other divers.

I know that Aldora is known for having steel cylinders of a variety of sizes, but does anyone happen to know if they (or anyone else) rents doubles with manifolds? I'm doing doubles training on the mainland then finishing with some rec dives on Cozumel. I could bring my singles wing but I'd love to not have to budget space/weight for it.
mje,

On more than one occasion I have made prior arrangements with offshore operators, for cylinders (steel, 7 1/4'') to be made available for me and taken a manifold and a set of bands with me, and prepped the set upon arrival.

In all cases except one, the operator was more than happy to buy my manifold and bands set at the end of my stay, so I didn't have to worry about disassembly, or carrying them back.

I'd stay away from AL 80's, as doubled up, they require far too much ballast to get them neutral, and in the end, they'll weigh more than a set of steel cylinders, which require no additional ballast at all.

I dive steel doubles in the North Pacific, have for years, with a drysuit full time, and I don't own any ballast, not one pound.

Dive Safely, Rose.

Ahhh, the difference of Pacific NW verses the Caribbean..............

Ok, thanks for all the advice! I will switch back to singles for my Cozumel diving. That brings up additional logistical hurdles:

Packing two wings, drysuit, wetsuit, two pairs of fins (my drysuit fins just won't work with wet), I'm pretty much out of space. Wondering if I could ditch bringing the single tank wing, and use my Halcyon Evolve 40... I know about the "taco-ing" but would this be workable?

Otherwise, does anyone know if Aldora rents wings? I'll reach out and ask them but not sure if I'll get a response. Thanks!

Ok, thanks for all the advice! I will switch back to singles for my Cozumel diving. That brings up additional logistical hurdles:

Packing two wings, drysuit, wetsuit, two pairs of fins (my drysuit fins just won't work with wet), I'm pretty much out of space. Wondering if I could ditch bringing the single tank wing, and use my Halcyon Evolve 40... I know about the "taco-ing" but would this be workable?

Otherwise, does anyone know if Aldora rents wings? I'll reach out and ask them but not sure if I'll get a response. Thanks!
Why would you need a drysuit in Cozumel? The water temp will be at least 80F.

Bring the single tank wing too. It doesn't take up that much room when folded up.

If you show up with a drysuit when everyone else is in a rashguard and shorties… you’ll stick out.

There was one person diving a 5mm my entire trip… they were rail thin and doing 2+ hours of photography on each dive.

Why would you need a drysuit in Cozumel? The water temp will be at least 80F.
If you show up with a drysuit when everyone else is in a rashguard and shorties… you’ll stick out.
If you read up the thread--I'm doing a week of GUE Doubles and Fundamentals on the mainland then popping over to Coz for a few days of warm ocean diving. I'll be bringing my 3/2 wetsuit also.

Bring the single tank wing too. It doesn't take up that much room when folded up.
Yeah... space is a premium but I can probably make it work.

That all fits in my suitcase. Wth?

Your regs, mask, and computer, go in your carryon.

Leave the wetsuit behind. Do the single tank dives in swim trunks.

I'd ditch the singles fins as well. Your tec fins might trim too heavy, but so what. Its a rec dive, you can fin a little to hold trim.

Option3: bring nothing but your mask to CZ. And rent all.

Back
Top Bottom