bpw + wing to accommodate independent doubles & single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the various answers above address your original question, I guess I'm now wondering why you want to dive independent doubles off a crowded rec boat?
I am not looking to go tomorrow and do that type of a dive, I wanted to know what is the absolutely easiest way to strap a set of doubles in a recreational setting without having to bring a manifold, extra wing, have properly configured vales, etc etc.

I do envision myself doing that eventually, maybe some shore dives in ean32 range with "recreational doubles set up".

Also, I always fly to diving destinations, so I really dont want to bring a sm harness and a bpw harness if I have to do a mix of tec and rec diving. Previously when I was doing cave diving and a couple of rec dives with my gf, I would use my "tec" sm harness and do monkey sm rec diving.

Now I just want to know how to do that in reverse, i.e. use more of a rec bpw set up, and strap tec-y doubles to it

I am not looking to go tomorrow and do that type of a dive, I wanted to know what is the absolutely easiest way to strap a set of doubles in a recreational setting without having to bring a manifold, extra wing, have properly configured vales, etc etc.
sounds like you already know the way you should be approaching dives that require doubles.

Do that instead of some cockamamie half-measure.

This question is purely academical, I'm just curious how independent doubles would work. I'll probably never use them (mostly because of so many questions like this one).

Do you switch regulators so you breathe tanks somewhat evenly like in sidemount? If you use Hogarthian/DIR hose routing and you're breathing from the necklace, in an OOG emergency you'll have to donate the long hose directly from the D-ring.

Probably not a big deal for experienced divers but the idea of having to unclip stuff quickly in an emergency makes me glad for the invention of the isolation manifold. :)

Yep, lift was my concern. There are no "small" wings for doubles that can work for 1 tank without looking ridiculous?
If you don't mind reminding people about tacos, then yes. :wink:

Piece of piss

072.JPG

until "they" came and fixed everything

This question is purely academical, I'm just curious how independent doubles would work. I'll probably never use them (mostly because of so many questions like this one).

Do you switch regulators so you breathe tanks somewhat evenly like in sidemount? If you use Hogarthian/DIR hose routing and you're breathing from the necklace, in an OOG emergency you'll have to donate the long hose directly from the D-ring.

Probably not a big deal for experienced divers but the idea of having to unclip stuff quickly in an emergency makes me glad for the invention of the isolation manifold. :)

Not really, ID is a normal set up and people dive it every day. It’s really no different than sm, just on your back (two spgs, reg switching, etc)

People also dive manifolded doubles with the manifold closed to mimick an ID setup, but then they would open and close the manifold ever 5min to equalise the tanks

So there are different ways to dive doubles, I am just trying to figure out the laziest one :)

It’s really no different than sm, just on your back (two spgs, reg switching, etc)
Not true at all. Can't see 1. stages, can't really feather etc. combines the downsides of bm with the downsides of sm. There is a reason nobody dives indi anymore. There is also a reason why there are wings for doubles and wings for single tank diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom