bpw + wing to accommodate independent doubles & single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still dive IDs. And I have two isolation manifolded sets as well. For my BM IDs I have a custom set of bands for 6.9 inch tanks (aluminum 50s, steel 72s, Faber 84s) that places them closer together than a standard isolation manifolded set. Back mounted IDs are managed in exactly the same way that side mount IDs are handled. BM IDs handle better in the water than some slung systems and are not banging and clanging about when climbing a boat ladder or beach entry and require no special handling or complex slings and bungees. Put them on and go. I use either a horsecollar BC or I choose my small Dive Rite doubles wing. I drive either BC from the left tank.

Not really, ID is a normal set up and people dive it every day. It’s really no different than sm, just on your back (two spgs, reg switching, etc)

People also dive manifolded doubles with the manifold closed to mimick an ID setup, but then they would open and close the manifold ever 5min to equalise the tanks

It is very different from SM. It has none of the benefits of either SM or manifolded doubles. It's literally the worst combination possible.

And if you're diving with manifolded doubles with the isolator closed and you're feathering it to equalize the tanks, what the **** is even the point?

If you want redundancy, either dive manifolded doubles, dive SM, or sling a tank with a single tank on your back.

Edit: to answer your original question, buy a dedicated doubles wing and a dedicated single tank wing. Don't mix the two. You will end up buying another wing when you realize you hate how annoying trying to do both is with only one wing.

Not true at all. Can't see 1. stages, can't really feather etc.
It is very different from SM. It has none of the benefits of either SM or manifolded doubles. It's literally the worst combination possible.

If you want redundancy, either dive manifolded doubles, dive SM, or sling a tank with a single tank on your back.
Just to reiterate, I do not want to have a by-the-book configured set of doubles that I go to 100m with a rebreather also strapped to my chest and two stages attached to my sides. I do not need redundancy either.

I was looking for a quick and dirty way to strap a second tank to my back, while having to bring as little extra parts as possible, and not having any support from a tec dive operator.

Edit: to answer your original question, buy a dedicated doubles wing and a dedicated single tank wing. Don't mix the two. You will end up buying another wing when you realize you hate how annoying trying to do both is with only one wing.
Yep, looks like getting a dedicated wing is the only solution

(I did find a bcd that can accommodate ID and single tank diving, but there are some lines I am not willing to cross)

Just to reiterate, I do not want to have a by-the-book configured set of doubles that I go to 100m with a rebreather also strapped to my chest and two stages attached to my sides. I do not need redundancy either.

I was looking for a quick and dirty way to strap a second tank to my back, while having to bring as little extra parts as possible, and not having any support from a tec dive operator.

Why not just buy a simple stage kit and sling either a 40 or 80 if you want extra gas? It's not hard and you can switch tanks between dives infinitely easier.

2 wings is the best,
This may help, but pricey,
I think the old ones were better.

That said,
my dive rite 60lb classic
Has dove many singles,
There is one main modification, that makes it not taco, (look at high lift sidemount wings that rap around you body)

Get a BP that has what you seek.

A plate with the slots for 4 tank straps as seen here. That is what they are there for.

Once the tanks are strapped in, you can add one more that would strap the two together or make a simple spacer. Beer cans work...just sayin.

I love ID threads.

20230714_120759.jpg

As weird as it is to say this, Happy is right! The quick and dirty doubles answer is what they often call a "cheater bar". With a doubles wing and bands set up for quick removal (use allthread and wingnuts at both ends), you can swap tanks out individually easily. I recently made a doubles wing to set my "ghetto doubles" just for getting another dive out of 72's that are partially used:
IMG_20230520_152056381_HDR.jpgIMG_20230520_152048605_HDR.jpg
No redundancy, just a quick way to double capacity.

Respectfully,

James

I am not looking to go tomorrow and do that type of a dive, I wanted to know what is the absolutely easiest way to strap a set of doubles in a recreational setting without having to bring a manifold, extra wing, have properly configured vales, etc etc.

I do envision myself doing that eventually, maybe some shore dives in ean32 range with "recreational doubles set up".

Also, I always fly to diving destinations, so I really dont want to bring a sm harness and a bpw harness if I have to do a mix of tec and rec diving. Previously when I was doing cave diving and a couple of rec dives with my gf, I would use my "tec" sm harness and do monkey sm rec diving.

Now I just want to know how to do that in reverse, i.e. use more of a rec bpw set up, and strap tec-y doubles to it
What is the reason for wanting to get away from your SM setup? I'm trying to understand what benefit you see in going to ID + single tank vs SM + monkey. Or just single tank + slinging a bottle. What problem are you trying to solve?

Why not just buy a simple stage kit and sling either a 40 or 80 if you want extra gas? It's not hard and you can switch tanks between dives infinitely easier.

What is the reason for wanting to get away from your SM setup? I'm trying to understand what benefit you see in going to ID + single tank vs SM + monkey. Or just single tank + slinging a bottle. What problem are you trying to solve?

No particular problem, simply wanted to know if it can be done. I have no issues diving a sm set up, or slinging an extra tank, but had it been possible to do the ID set up I was asking about, it would have been my top choice because its more convenient to handle one package with two tanks as opposed to two individual tanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom