Steel or Alum BACK PLATE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both. I mostly use AL with my doubles, but depending on the tanks and exposure suit combination that I'm using, I'll go to steel for the extra ballast.

It depends. Single tank is almost always steel. Doubles it depends on exposure protection. If in a wetsuit, it is my kydex plate, if dry, steel.

I have SS plate.

Pros: No need for extra weights and weight belts. Better trim and one less thing to worry about underwater. Good for dry suit diving as well.

Cons: I am negatively buoyant and I dive in the tropics. So I find myself constantly over-weighted. Looking to swap into an AL plate soon.

Also, AL plate will reduce the luggage weight.

I have both.
Steel when I am in cold water with a wetsuit or drysuit and need the extra weight. My steel plate is also set up with my 32# wing.

Aluminum for warm water or pool sessions or travel. It is set up with a 23# wing.

If you don't want both just go with aluminum, a 32# wing, and put weight pockets on the tank straps and add weight there to simulate the heavier steel plate. Works great for travel when you can just rent weights.

I still use a weight belt but don't put as much on it.

All above based on single tank. and assuming you dive warm and cold water. If you only dive one or the other it gets easier.

As others have said, depends on how much weight you use.

Steel vs AL is a quick way to add or lose 4#.

AL travels better.

6lb steel backplate. I dive dry and as I'm very floaty anyway, I need 18-20 lbs *in addition to* backplate to be able to descend.

With my doubles I use my SS since I use steel tanks.

When diving dry in cold mountain lakes I use my SS plate. I am lucky because I don't have to use much weight when using a plate. During the winter I wear 8 pounds and during the summer 2 pounds.

In the tropics I prefer my AL plate. With the AL I only need two pounds. With the SS I am overweight.

I use an aluminum plate for doubles and a single cylinder while teaching in the pool or warm water.
SS for single cylinder with a 3mm or greater wetsuit or drysuit.

I am with most of the posters above--aluminum with steel doubles and steel for most other diving.

The one big difference is that I use aluminum usually when I travel to save the weight. I figure I can get some weights and add it there. I do all I can to save weight on these trips, and it adds up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom