Steel Vrs Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtyspider

Registered
Reaction score
Well i have used both and once i tried steel tank i got in loved with them

1)For some odd reason the air last longer than with Aluminum in my case.

2)U need lest lead weight's

3)They look cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Con's
1)They alway's look scraped and beat up cause they have paint coating they get beat up all the time.

2)I have heard some terrible stories that got rust inside the tank and the air got contaminated.

Aluminum

1)available everywhere
2)rust free
3)Low mantainience

Cons

1)buyoncy is lower

I wonder nobody has ever come to the idea with stainless steel tank's that could be the best idea ever!!!!!!If they exist where i have never seen one.

All your input in this subject is very welcomed i'm not a pro diver i just give my humble opinion according to my xp

Stainless steel is expensive and I believe doesn't have the strength to make a useable tank.

I wonder nobody has ever come to the idea with stainless steel tank's that could be the best idea ever!!!!!!If they exist where i have never seen one.

Justus was to make a stainless tank for Dacor in the late 70's/early 80's. It was never delivered. My understading of stainless is that it was too brittle and could not be heat treated to a reliable end result.

mtyspider:
Aluminum

1)available everywhere
2)rust free
3)Low mantainience

Cons

1)buyoncy is lower
4)aluminum are less expensive.

its all about the lettuce, the cabbage,,,the moouhla,,,
Money would cost a LDS a arm and a leg to have Steel rentals,, so its basic economics 101.
if your renting and filling your own the tanks you wont have a rust probblem if you do due deligence on them,,,,,,,

knotical:
4)aluminum are less expensive.

yipiekaya:
its all about the lettuce, the cabbage,,,the moouhla,,,
Money would cost a LDS a arm and a leg to have Steel rentals,, so its basic economics 101.
if your renting and filling your own the tanks you wont have a rust probblem if you do due deligence on them,,,,,,,

On the other hand.....
Good bouyancy is priceless.

6 P Principle

PROPER
PLANNING
PREVENTS
PISS
POOR
PERFORMANCE

If you weight your self down properly it doesnt matter , steel or alum,,,,,, unless your one of those cold water diviers who wears long johns in there dry suits,,then again if yoru body fat ratio is 30 % then you have issues with weighting,,,
. i only dive warm water,,,..
Justin699:
On the other hand.....
Good bouyancy is priceless.

yipiekaya:
If you weight your self down properly it doesnt matter , steel or alum,,,,,, unless your one of those cold water diviers who wears long johns in there dry suits

Hey...I resemble that remark.

Gotta stay warm now. I hate to say it but I've even overweighted myself by a couple pounds in order to keep some extra warm toasty air in my suit.

:losecool:

I suppose I resemble that comment to, in that I only dive cold water, but in warm water, with the right steel tank, you don't need much weight at all, which is really nice. Again, bouyancy is key, most aluminum tanks are positive when empty while most steel tanks are neutral to negative when empty. I like a tank with good bouyancy properties, not a floatie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom