Sticker SHOCK!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugout:
...or I could go to another dive shop with more realistic pricing.
Or you could go here and pick up a copy of The Oxygen Hacker's Companion and do the oxygen cleaning yourself.

Brian

Yes, he could clean them himself but who would fill them? As I see it, cleaning a tank yourself serves 2 purposes. One you know they're clean, and two you can fill it yourself knowing it's saving you money.

Around these parts most of the shops that fill tanks know of almost every scuba shop around the state, it's odd but I can go to an out of the way place in the backwoods, stop by the dive shop and they'll know every shop I've been to. So, if you made up your own sticker there's no guarantee they'll honor it because they'll probably realize it's not from a dive shop.

I second the idea of going to Diverite Express and simply buying new tanks, and then selling the others for whatever you can get. In the net, it may only cost you a few bucks more to get new tanks, with great valves.

IMO one of the best things to do is take the cylinders to the hydro shop yourself last year I paid $ 9.00 each for 4 cylinders. Just look in the yellow pages for a fire extinguisher repair place and see if they hydro or can tell you who does around you. There is no reason to go thru a dive shop when getting your cylinders a hydro.

was that price that was quoted to you for all 4 cylinders?

the prices that other people seem to be quoting i assume, are per cylinder...

dugout:
...or I could go to another dive shop with more realistic pricing.
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the $150 O2 cleaning fee was for 4 tanks, I would say Diveriteexpress was the cheaper option by $85 per tank. Plus you get band new tanks, vs ones that are over 5 yrs old and out of hydro. Figure you could sell your old tanks on ebay. Maybe get $50 per tank?

dugout:
Everything sounds reasonable. I don't spend much time in Dive shops. I generally fill my tanks at the fire house and do my own thing.

The valve is a non-issue as I am replacing them with new Thermo Pro Din / Yoke type. I didn't want to confuse the question by adding this but it seems I did since the valve is an issue.

I was quoted
20 for the VIP+
50 for the hydro
150.00 for the "oxygen cleaning"
65 for the new valves.

Now, I was certainly born at night but it was not LAST NIGHT!!! I confirmed the cost with them three times in the conversation. When I said that is more than the cost of new tank the responce was, "almost, that is the way most people go." Well the way this person is going is to another Dive shop!!!!!!
I'm not a shopper, most of the time. I didn't even blink at the 175.00 I paid for the certification course. In fact I never even asked the price. I'm sure glad I didn't just drop off the four cylinders and tell them to call me when they were done.:(
We charge $20 for a vip plus with a fill..about the same as above for a hydro,includes vip plus and fill,$50. for o2 clean of tank and valve with a fill....One thing I noticed with original poster was that he fills at his firehouse,the air there may be fine for regular fills but not safe for o2 compatability..just an observation..Once o2 cleaned should use hyper filtered air(hydrocarbon free) only or will contaminate tank and no longer be o2 clean..

oly5050user:
...One thing I noticed with original poster was that he fills at his firehouse,the air there may be fine for regular fills but not safe for o2 compatability..just an observation..Once o2 cleaned should use hyper filtered air(hydrocarbon free) only or will contaminate tank and no longer be o2 clean..

one would assume he would be using these tanks for EANx with %'s above 40%, there is no other reason to have the O2 cleaned...logically unless he is qualified to blend nitrox gasses above 40%, twould be wise to get the filled preofesionally.

They would need to be O2 clean if they were being filled using Partial Pressure Blending even if final mixes were less than 40%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom