Still Using a USD Matrix Hockey Puck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The title says it all. Approx 25 years ago I moved up from my Orca (“Skinny Dipper”) to the then state of the art USD Matrix. I commenced to use it for the next 20 years with perfect satisfaction. As I come out of my Rip Van Winkle phase 🧙🏻‍♂️ of the last 5 years, I’m discovering that technology has moved far ahead. I plan on doing some low stress, fairly shallow sport diving in warm, clear Bahamas water this Summer to get back into the game. My initial thought is to put a new battery in my still working Matrix And get on with it.
Comments about your actual current/recent use of this old school computer?
thanks in advance!
🐸

I haven't used that particular one, but have used a similarly old puck before.... And while it works, I usually just use a Mares Puck Pro wrist computer. I have greater confidence in it's reliability and find it easier to read... And you can find them new ballpark of $150.
Give it an hour and someone will recommend Shearwater... And by all accounts they are great. But for basic recreational diving I don't see a need for spending that kind of money.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it!

James

Thanks, James. Kinda what I was thinking. I have my Matrix puck in a wrist mount, but also have an old USD Pivot console I may break out. Unless somebody comes out with a very worrisome revelation of severe shortcomings that this computer has developed (esp. for conditions described above) I think I’ll hold onto the Matrix and use the computer in my Citizen Aqualand Pro for backup. There’s another old school classic! 😉
🐸

Thanks, James. Kinda what I was thinking. I have my Matrix puck in a wrist mount, but also have an old USD Pivot console I may break out. Unless somebody comes out with a very worrisome revelation of severe shortcomings that this computer has developed (esp. for conditions described above) I think I’ll hold onto the Matrix and use the computer in my Citizen Aqualand Pro for backup. There’s another old school classic! 😉
🐸

Before you go nuts and nostalgic with your dive computers, have them serviced with battery change and, most important, pressure tested in a pressure pot with other dive computers to make sure that they are working properly.

Again, thanks for the well considered responses. This is typical of the reasons I like visiting this forum so much… you guys are great! My parameters for use now and for the immediate future involve around casual dives in a resort type setting, in clear warm water to depths of say, 60 feet or less.
Historically the deepest dive in this computer’s memory was ane foray to 138 feet on the wall at San Sal. I was following a pair of hammerheads with my Nikonos to get a shot. I went “into the Zone” trying to get the shot, and nearly swallowed my my Con XIV second stage when I looked on my wrist and saw how deep I’d gone! Fortunately it was a short bounce and I didn’t get into deco mode.

Now I’m older and wiser, or at least more cautious. I doubt I’ll see 70’ any time soon, and as out of shape as I’ve gotten I’ll probably burn through my air quickly enough to not need to consult my computer too closely, just remember my safety stop. As with all things diving, it is just another safety factor.

🐸

Again, thanks for the well considered responses. This is typical of the reasons I like visiting this forum so much… you guys are great! My parameters for use now and for the immediate future involve around casual dives in a resort type setting, in clear warm water to depths of say, 60 feet or less.
Historically the deepest dive in this computer’s memory was ane foray to 138 feet on the wall at San Sal. I was following a pair of hammerheads with my Nikonos to get a shot. I went “into the Zone” trying to get the shot, and nearly swallowed my my Con XIV second stage when I looked on my wrist and saw how deep I’d gone! Fortunately it was a short bounce and I didn’t get into deco mode.

Now I’m older and wiser, or at least more cautious. I doubt I’ll see 70’ any time soon, and as out of shape as I’ve gotten I’ll probably burn through my air quickly enough to not need to consult my computer too closely, just remember my safety stop. As with all things diving, it is just another safety factor.

🐸
If doing multiple dives a day, and just bringing the old computer, I'd probably track depths and times to be able to back it up with tables just in case. The computer will be more permissive than tables due to any multi-level aspects, but for that type of shallow rec diving tables as a back up will at least give a most conservative surface interval requirement if the computer craps out.

If doing multiple dives a day, and just bringing the old computer, I'd probably track depths and times to be able to back it up with tables just in case. The computer will be more permissive than tables due to any multi-level aspects, but for that type of shallow rec diving tables as a back up will at least give a most conservative surface interval requirement if the computer craps out.

How about just renting a computer down there?

How about just renting a computer down there?
That's a great solution for a backup as well... in fact a better solution, provided it is rented from the outset and brought on all dives. I was posting in terms of the OP's apparent preference to minimize expenses/keep using his old gear.

Respectfully,

James

I was posting in terms of the OP's apparent preference to minimize expenses/keep using his old gear.

He can skip few meals and cut down on his drinking and he can afford it all no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom