STINAPA EMERGENCY: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) is in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you’re right, Joneill, about the spread, and suspect divers aren’t really much of the problem (but do think divers and ops should do what they can). Early in the SCTLD times, I read that the infection was circumnavigating Grand Cayman at a rate of something like five meters a week, but given that it went from a few sights on the north shore to ringing the whole island in a year or so, it was probably a lot faster. We’re actually already booked for three trips to the South Pacific, starting this fall—although I have a hard time imagining two years without Bonaire AGAIN. I hope you find a trip that suits you.
Thanks - I head to Fiji for 2 weeks on Wednesday and then have a Raja Ampat liveaboard trip over Christmas/ New Years. Thinking of hitting Rangiroa and Fakarava in October - I was in Rangiroa in Oct 2019 and loved it! Enjoy your trips - where are you going?

I thought of how over-the-top I thought the local government there was over the covid thing and thought if they're gonna do the same thing about this .... Maybe I'll be happier going somewhere else.
Over the top? Seriously?
Yeah, go somewhere else. Please.

Thanks - I head to Fiji for 2 weeks on Wednesday and then have a Raja Ampat liveaboard trip over Christmas/ New Years. Thinking of hitting Rangiroa and Fakarava in October - I was in Rangiroa in Oct 2019 and loved it! Enjoy you trips - where are you going?
Also Fiji, but early November, then PNG in the spring and Wakatobi next fall.

I just ran across this on facebook the other day. This seems very 'piss in a snowbank to melt it' kind of logic. I'm all for approaches to help, but with ocean currents, fish, and CRUISE SHIPS, honestly, this seems rediculous.

I just ran across this on facebook the other day. This seems very 'piss in a snowbank to melt it' kind of logic. I'm all for approaches to help, but with ocean currents, fish, and CRUISE SHIPS, honestly, this seems rediculous.
Exactly. This.

A load of self-righteousness aimed at showing how much somethems "care" and "is at least doing something" about it while looking down their collective nose at anyone that disagrees or would dare question their obvious superiority.

I am. All for stuff that would work. All against moronic virtue signaling.

OMMOHY

Probably blame me, or my luck... This news hit about 2 weeks after I booked everything for Oct-Nov trip. Still glad I'm going, although wish I was going sooner, but hopefully I'll get to see some of the beauty before it is gone for the remainder of my diving years.

Would like to be optimistic, but seems unlikely it will do less damage to Bonaire than it has done to other places, since we still have no cures or real solutions to stop the spread.

I think Bonaire has a good chance of recovering faster than some busier areas, but would still probably take 10+ years. If the diving is mostly gone in Bonaire, I think it would be a ghost town without something crazy like building of huge resorts and sandy beaches to become a non-diving destination.

Probably blame me, or my luck... This news hit about 2 weeks after I booked everything for Oct-Nov trip. Still glad I'm going, although wish I was going sooner, but hopefully I'll get to see some of the beauty before it is gone for the remainder of my diving years.

Would like to be optimistic, but seems unlikely it will do less damage to Bonaire than it has done to other places, since we still have no cures or real solutions to stop the spread.

I think Bonaire has a good chance of recovering faster than some busier areas, but would still probably take 10+ years. If the diving is mostly gone in Bonaire, I think it would be a ghost town without something crazy like building of huge resorts and sandy beaches to become a non-diving destination.
People will still dive Bonaire, just like they still dive the Florida Keys.
Especially younger divers, who don't know "how good it used to be."

Just returned from Bonaire. Apologies if this has already been linked…

Back
Top Bottom