Stingray kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind.............

Red - did i tell you that the child got her first pet snake on Sunday!! (a day before Steve died)

she already has lizards and now a diamond python (ewwhhhhh!!!).... i can say that steve irwin has taught ordinary suburban families not to go for the shovel or baseball bat when seeing these creatures anymore. yes they are "pets" but the way we are leveling our parklands these days its a start to teaching kids to look outside their enclosed world and thinking it can be a better place!

I think the media just doesn't like Steve because of his politics. I thought the guy had conjones, even though I don't really like snakes, Almity. :) I enjoyed so many of his shows.

*****Mod Post*****
Might I remind members that we are in the Accidents & Incidents forum and there are special rules for this forum. please read THIS.

In particular please note the following:
(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.
and:
(5) Remember that you cannot read minds. Restrict comments to what happened and how to prevent it, without speculating on what someone else was thinking (or not). The only thoughts you are qualified to share are your own.

It's clear that we don't yet know all the facts here so making assumptions and assigning blame is contrary to the above rules.

I would also ask that everyone has some respect not just for the victim and his family, but also for all the other posters in this thread upset by this event.

If the discussion here gets out of hand then please expect a Moderator who isn't involved in this thread to apply the following:
If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

*****Mod Post*****

jepuskar:
Scubaguy...that was your idea of a short post? You might as well be a lawyer with how you worded that post. Remember, it's just a discussion board. No need to file an internet complaint or something drastic..mmmmmkay?

No way. You know how many lawyers I know that would trade positions with me yesterday? How about I'll take your comments under advise?

Kim:
*****Mod Post*****
Might I remind members that we are in the Accidents & Incidents forum and there are special rules for this forum. please read THIS.

and:

It's clear that we don't yet know all the facts here so making assumptions and assigning blame is contrary to the above rules.

I would also ask that everyone has some respect not just for the victim and his family, but also for all the other posters in this thread upset by this event.

If the discussion here gets out of hand then please expect a Moderator who isn't involved in this thread to apply the following:

*****Mod Post*****

Thanks Kim - All I have learned about the tragic event is that one can get killed by a stingray - did not think that was possible.

any animal with a "weapon" can kill you, given the right circumstances...

this is a tragic example of an animal that normally does not kill people doing just that ...

i think if anything, my lesson from this tragedy is to triple my respect for wild animals and never take them lightly, no matter how "harmless" their reputation

Web Monkey:
More likely it was out looking for food or getting away from the noisy dive boat, you happened to drop in front of it, and it ignored you.

They're fish. They eat, poop, reproduce, swim and protect themselves when necessary. AFAIK, they don't "play" or "welcome".

Terry

Perhaps, but almost 20 feet from the bottom, when they're bottom dwellers? I don't dismiss the possibilities you raise, but I can't dismiss mine, not only because I lived it, but because of their normal, unthreatened behavior. Food for thought though.

Kim:
*****Mod Post*****

and:

*****Mod Post*****

Nuff said

Peace

Hi Storm,

For what is is worth, I spent 5 years as a instructor in Cayman. In Cayman there is a place called Stingray city where thousands interact with Stingrays. It would be fair to say I have spent many, many hours interacting with stingrays in a manner that many consider "wrong" (including me to some degree BTW).

Some of your statements on the rays just don't jibe with what I have observed. Rays only use their barb for defense, not to "attack", a attack(an offensive action) by a ray would leave you with some bad suction marks and broken skin but even the largest ray wouldn't kill you in a "attack" because they do not attack with their barb.

I am very comfortable to approach and touch any stingray from below or at the same level, I avoid getting over a ray simply because if it does feel threatened it will do what a ray does, just like porcupines did to my stupid dog I had growing up weekly...

Interacting with stingrays is nothing like sharks or Moray eels, other animals I have interacted with and indeed have feed in the wild. Those animals can go from easy going to true attack mode in less than a second with bad results for the human involved. (I do have some pretty cool video of that aspect however..:D )

What I find interesting is that how we as divers/people view others interaction with wildlife is often simply a reflection of our individual POLITICS. This conclusion has been borne out by this thread...

What surprises me is that no mod has realized that this thread has degenerated into a political debate and stopped it going in that direction.

Best regards,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom