Stolen gear 08/13/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep my gear in my house at all times until I am ready to throw it in my truck and drive to wherever I am diving. I even have a hard time running to the store when my gear is on the back patio drying after getting cleaned. The stuff is just way too expensive, and like someone already said, way too many people right now are falling on hard times. People who wouldn't have been thieves a year ago may now be considering it. I sincerely hope your gear turns up, but I also hope other people can learn from your misfortune to hopefully save themselves from the same pain...

I keep my gear in my house at all times until I am ready to throw it in my truck and drive to wherever I am diving. I even have a hard time running to the store when my gear is on the back patio drying after getting cleaned. The stuff is just way too expensive, and like someone already said, way too many people right now are falling on hard times. People who wouldn't have been thieves a year ago may now be considering it. I sincerely hope your gear turns up, but I also hope other people can learn from your misfortune to hopefully save themselves from the same pain...

I couldn't have said it better!! I do and feel the same way! If my gear is hung up out side still drying out and I have to go somewhere even for a few minutes, I pack it up and bring it inside!! I know, anal, but I don't trust most peeps for a second!!

Good Luck!! Hope you recover some if not all of your gear!!! I hate thieves!!

I definitely agree that from now on no gear of mine or anyone i am with will placed anywhere other than inside the house until ready for use. It is extremely sad to see what this world is coming too and even harder to think about the younger generations growing up in this society. I expect we will soon revert back to the old days and be taking over one and others stuff by battling for it.

Fortunately for me, while my gear is drying, someone would have to go through a big black heavy gate, a fence, and then a dog to get to my dive gear. After that, it's inside always!

It may be too late now, but I would post REWARD signs throughout the neighborhood. Add any photos you have. Even at $500.00 you would be way better off. Plus if the perps are caught; the courts will order you be reimbursed for the reward. Wouldn't cost you anything to try....
There may be other kids in the area that know, and would jump at the chance to get the reward, or maybe a concientious parent would call and offer the equipment back if you don't prosecute. No risk for you to try.

That is a great idea, i will go ahead and post one on craigslist, the local papers, etc. I never would have thought about that. Thanks!

One other thing you can do is to keep a spread sheet of every piece of gear you have and record data like (especially) the serial number. I also use this spread sheet to keep track of what gear is due for servicing and when it was last serviced.

One other thing you can do is to keep a spread sheet of every piece of gear you have and record data like (especially) the serial number. I also use this spread sheet to keep track of what gear is due for servicing and when it was last serviced.

That's a great idea. Fortunately, I haven't fallen prey to thievery, but it seems like that would work as far as keeping a record of service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom