Stop Finning!!!!!!!! See "Sharkwater"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats sad about it is that I don't see finning stopping any time soon. It's amazing to me to see how ignorant people are. I don't know what other way to let people know that if we loose the sharks we are in big trouble. HUGE trouble

I guess all you can do is campaign the governments involved and educate todays children so that this barbaric practice is filtered out in the future. Obviously, a total bouycott of any restaurant that serves shark fin soup will help. Maybe we should name and shame these restaurants. Any more ideas.

WE ALL NEED TO SUPPPORT the organizations that are trying to protect sharks. We all have a voice, but it helps to support the organizations financially. I have volunteered my time and money to dive with the SRI and am a lifetime member. I also support and am a member of The Sea Shepard Conservation Society and the Shark Alliance. I try to promote the knowledge that I have been lucky to have received first hand from Rob Stewart and Stan Waterman. Education is the key to get the Asian market to stop the promotion of shark fin soup. But know that many medicines for cartilage rebuilding and other illnesses are coming from shark cartilage. WALGREENS openly sells shark cartiladge pills by NATURES BOUNTY. Many health food stores sell it too. Shark finning is supplying a global market for more than just soup. We all need to be aware and campaign to educate consumers on these types of products. Boycotting and hitting manufacturers and their suppliers at their wallets may get their attention faster!

FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!
http://www.sharkwater.com/
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
http://www.sharks.org/
http://www.sharkalliance.org/

Happy diving with and protecting sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:
PS FOOD FOR THOUGHT: We consume more shark than we know and most is not labeled as such! http://www.shark.ch/Preservation/index.html

Last edited:
There was talk of the Queensland state government allowing shark finning on the GBR. There was a lot of uproar with divers and environmental groups (rightly so I might add), though I'm not sure what the outcome was. Has any body else heard?

Sharks are pelagic. I have seen reports of sharks tagged off of the east coast of the US captured off of Europe. Unless the world agrees to a plan there is little hope as long as there is a market for this useless product. The last I heard most of the shark fins returned to market are form illegally harvested fins (commercial boats finning their by-catch) and from smaller third world nations selling their rights to other larger interests driven by profits.

I watched sharkwater drunk and high on mushrooms, i'm extremely pro shark tattoos and everything.
When it got to the killing, i was screaming at the film. Some of the stuff that came out I'm suprised i didnt get kicked out.

Amazing film, but also scary as well. Go shark diving now while you still can!

just bought this film and watched it last night. i get sick to my stomach every time i think about how much we are f-ing up the world. someone said Rob Stewert broke laws to make the film. i think the people doing the shark finning are guilty of a much worse crime, and by doing so are ruining the earth for everyone. that overshadows the filmaker's lawbreaking in my opinion.

but anyway i liked the documentary and i will show it to as many people as i can. im sure most people have no clue that this stuff is even happening. or they just dont care because they think it wont affect them.

-jeremy

I watched the movie last week and it really made me feel sick when I saw all those horrible sharkfinning scenes. Some people are just s*ck! I loved the way the crew on the boat was trying to stop the line fishing and ramming the boats! Maybe next time they should get the bad guys, cut of their "fins" and throw them overboard. I love sharks, alhough I have only see one up close since I started diving, but can't wait for the next encounter! Thinking of taking a nice shark-dive related tattoo, but can't find that much "inspiration" on the web yet...

Thanks for everybody on this thread chiming in. Before I saw this I actually did not know how bad shark finning had gotten although i remember hearing about it a long time ago. I just wanted to bring it to attention to people who were not aware of the nature of it. Obviously it worked, as someone on the first page asked "what is shark finning?" Mission accomplished. As for the maker of the film, all the other sh@! that goes along with him, and what lots of people think about him, I don't care. I don't care about his beliefs, actually i disagree with a lot of his views and opinions. The point is awareness about the issue! I even bought myself and my 3 yr old son anti-finning t-shirts so people will ask about it and possibly help decrease the fear factor people have of sharks. Being from So. and NorCal I love the ocean and its creatures. I'm teaching my son to respect, not fear them....as much as possible anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom