Stopwatch location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea it's not a big deal. i like having a watch though.
you still need to keep track with the bottom timer in case you bump the wrong button on your watch or something and screw up the stop watch

Have you been bent? Where's the importance of seconds coming from?

Nope. And I don't want to be. That's why I track my stops. 59 seconds x 7 or more stops, maybe not a problem, but I'm not willing to find find out I was wrong for the matter of a few minutes. And in the other direction, I don't want to find out my spg wasn't quite as acurate as I hoped. Again, ymmv.

This stuff isn't exact enough to get geeky about.

Probably not. And i'm certainly not above blowing off a minute or so when conditions warrant. But I just can't see doing it for nothing. Hell, I dive so I can spend time in the water. Not to rush to get out ... usually.

we always end up doing more anyway. with fooling with bottles and dicking around.
always ends up being a few minutes more deco

we always end up doing more anyway. with fooling with bottles and dicking around.
always ends up being a few minutes more deco

On O2 we do the following: 5min, 10, 15, 10-5-5, 10-5-10. I don't think we've ever gotten to 30mins at 20ft - maybe once or twice in summer since that's a long cold hang. The point is we round up to the nearest 5mins nowadays. (probably not 6 up to 10, but you get the idea). Definitely not to the second or even fraction of a minute. Call me lazy but it works, avoids parsing this stuff down to the gnat's butt, everyone's on the same page, etc etc. Having someone bent on a 16ft RIB 8miles from the closest shore access where EMS probably would even struggle is the pinnacle of sucky.

And no stopwatches...

yea that's reasonable. we don't typically sign up for any extra deco on purpose unless someone feels wonky.
and we'll count the 6 minute ascent as part of it

you still need to keep track with the bottom timer in case you bump the wrong button on your watch or something and screw up the stop watch

So that seems like a pretty good reason not to carry a stopwatch, from my (admittedly limited) understanding of DIR.

So that seems like a pretty good reason not to carry a stopwatch, from my (admittedly limited) understanding of DIR.

well I like to have a watch on occasion. like others have said, it's not needed. but it's not hurting anything to bring one. a lot of times if you're doing support or something, you have places to be at certain times etc.

although my watch has ridges on the buttons so they can't be accidentally pushed :wink:

Yes you don't want the stopwatch to be your primary deco timer. The Tec2G has a resettable stopwatch and while it seems nice at first (I had one) it ends up being a crutch like GPS in the car killing any and all map reading skills.

Otherwise watches are backup for deco and more for the time of day. Most gauges don't do the time of day well (and when they do people often don't reset for daylight savings blah blah)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom