Storing Gear for the Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I'm looking to pack my gear up anytime soon, but what is the best way to store your gear for the winter?

I already know wings should be partially inflated, and tanks should be nearly emptied and stored upright inside (out of a cold garage, etc.)

But what about everything else, fins, knives, regulators, guages, exposure, etc?

Is it better to store them in the bin I use for transporting, gewar bag, some sort of air tight container, closet, hang them on a rack, etc.

But to really address your question:
Make sure everything is clean and rust free.

I'd store hoses and exposure suits hanging up (or flat out without anything else on them).

Then, check your equipment for any nicks, tears, holes and do the repair during your off season. Have your reg set(s) in for inspection. Check your tanks if they require Hydro and/or VIS - perhaps consider have this done close to when you plan to start diving again.

That way everything is ready for the next season.

What about storing regulators with the purge depressed?

DivingGal beat me to it....

I wanted to say....I store it in my car waiting for the next dive....

I hope to get in several dives a month over the winter, if Mother Nature cooperates.

scubasean once bubbled...
DivingGal beat me to it....

I wanted to say....I store it in my car waiting for the next dive....

I hope to get in several dives a month over the winter, if Mother Nature cooperates.

I don't store it in my car... but close to it. So far, up here, the only months I have not got a dive in are January and February -- usually only because I don't like hard water (aka ice) diving.

There is always scuba travel to warm exotic destinations!

If you are going to store your gear for several months however, everything that has been said so far is good.

Here are some other thoughts.

Soak your reg(s) in faucet-hot water in your tub to dissolve all the salt, then air dry them and take them to your scuba store for annual maintenance. This is when I check everything closely for knicks and cuts, and then I tell the store to replace what needs it. Mouthpieces do not last forever, neither do hoses, neither do nylon ties, hose protectors, etc.

I store my regs flat out in a drawer in my bedroom, not hanging.

Wash your suit(s) inside and out, then hang dry them, and store them in a closet when completely dry. I check these for knicks and cuts as well, and take them to the store for repairs if needed. Seals on drysuits and stitching on wetsuits is what you mainly need to check.

Boots and gloves wear out fast, so this is a good time to trash them and look for an end of season store sale to buy new ones.

Now is a good time to vis and O2 clean your tanks, and tell the store to fill them with clean dry air to about 100 psi as well. That way they will not charge you for an air fill, which you wont need until spring anyway. It is not a good idea to store nitrox in your tanks, at any pressure, whether steel or aluminum.

Soak and dry your fins, mask, snorkel, and dive computer as well. I store them in a drawer too. If you have a spear or speargun, soak and dry it and take it apart and inspect it.

Soak your knives, slates, jonlines, ropes, etc and dry them.

Hose off your dive float inside and out, then let it dry in the garage as well.

Once each year at the end of the season I like to take my B/C completely apart, and then inspect everything. I make sure I have rinsed out the inside with hot water. You are right, that partially inflated is the best way to store the B/C after it is rinsed. I put mine into a closet, hanging upside down.

Sunlight is the main culprit that will degrade your scuba gear, so storing everying in the dark is best. A closet dedicated to scuba gear or a drawer is darkest. Salt is the next most adverse factor for degrading gear, so thorough rinsing is quite important.

In the game of scuba toys, winter is a good time to clean and inspect all of your gear and get it ready for the coming season. If you concentrate on one piece of gear at a time, this game can last you all winter long, and keep you busy until the springtime returns. And this way, you will become better acquainted with how your gear works as well.

Hey I don't dive dry, and it gets cold here in NJ, but I do plan on diving well into November!

So you're all saying do your maintenance at the end of the season before storing, instead of the beginning.

You have to store Nitrox tanks completely empty? Won't moisture get in them?

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
It is not a good idea to store nitrox in your tanks, at any pressure, whether steel or aluminum.
I'd better go out an drain my deco bottles cuz they are aluminum and one has 50/50 in it... and the other has 100%!!!

Oh No! My double steel 72s will need to be dumped because they always have a load of EAN32 in them.

YIKES!!!! I've got to go out and dump my EAN32 bank... those cylinders are made of steel.

Thanks DeepTech for the tip.

grunzster once bubbled...
Hey I don't dive dry, and it gets cold here in NJ
That's why you need to start diving dry :D

The best diving is in the winter anyway... I would be more inclined to store my gear for the summer... for a day or two max.

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
<snip> It is not a good idea to store nitrox in your tanks, at any pressure, whether steel or aluminum. <snip>

Why not? I've not heard this before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom