Next Urchin Removal Dive, October 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will for sure. In fact, I’m going to delegate the photography and videography to somebody doing shore support this time.
I just created an Instagram page for this cause (@p.u.r.p.) stands for Purple Urchin Removal Project. We’ll post stuff there as well as here.
How come you guys live on the East Coast? We need you here!
I'll get over there one day.. need to get one more through school and finish paying the house off. After that, you might see more of me then you care to!

No, the transient scumbag vagabonds are the left over 420’s that bum around. They’re all drugged out and do nothing but smoke dope and stay stoned all the time. Most of them travel the hwy 101 corridor from Seattle and Portland and head south to San Francisco where it’s not as harsh in the winter and they get all sorts of freebies. Those people are the farthest thing from a diver that you could imagine. A few of them might take the coast hwy 1 down, but soon realize it was a mistake because it’s so desolate in spots and a pretty harsh environment for someone of foot. Nobody will pick them up and give them a ride.
But that’s enough about those loosers, I don’t want to ruin my evening thinking about them.
Let’s get back to urchin diving.

The water in Norcal is normally in the high 40’s to low 50’s. Last dive we had 52 I think. I just wear a 7mm full suit with a 3 mil hooded vest pulled over.
A two piece john/jacket is also popular. No urchin divers/collectors I’ve ever seen wear drysuits, it would be hole/leak city after every dive.
In fact, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen anyone in a drysuit here.
That's interesting about the drysuits. I didn't really think of that.

Eric, what is your choice of gloves for this activity? Do you use open cell neoprene type material that is sort of self healing when pricked, or something protective but cheap so it’s sort of “sacrificial”?
🐸

Eric, what is your choice of gloves for this activity? Do you use open cell neoprene type material that is sort of self healing when pricked, or something protective but cheap so it’s sort of “sacrificial”?
🐸
I just use 3 mil standard kevlar dive gloves. I’m using a rake so my gloves don’t get hammered anymore.

These are the gloves I use. You can see I repaired them already a few times with black windshield urethane. I went to an auto glass shop and got some left over windshield urethane which works better than anything I’ve found so far. I put chunks of cut off broom handle wrapped in cellophane up in the fingers then spread the urethane out with a popsicle stick. It fixes holes, missing spots, etc. and stays put. It’s tougher than hell.
IMG_0859.jpeg

Just got a new dry suit I would love to give this a try. Perhaps on the next go-around since this is a little short order for me, or at least scheduling with my wife. Seems like it'd make for a fun road trip.

I was watching a couple videos, in one they used BBQ tongs to grab them. Had a pretty cool splitter used to crack them open. Like a pair of external snap ring pliers but with a duck bill on them. Had some uni at a sushi restaurant, but I was disappointed, not like I remembered. Don't think it was really that fresh. Here in Vegas, when it comes to seafood fresh is dubious.

Another video I saw didn't involve collecting the urchins. They were just swimming along smashing them with what looked like a geologist/prospector hammer and letting the fish have a field day.
I’ve seen those urchin splitters. I want to know where to get one, or I’ll make one. Right now I’m just using a BFK to open them and it works pretty good, but the splitter would do a cleaner job without mashing them.

We’re on for tomorrow!
The conditions look decent.

SUN
S winds 5 to 10 knots. Wind waves 1 ft. W swell 4 to 6 ft at 19 seconds and SW around 2 ft at 14 seconds. Patchy dense fog.

The 4’ to 6’ swell means it might be that on the outside in open ocean, but that does not relate to the cove. The cove beach will probably be shin slappers or maybe knee slappers nothing more. It should be a calm nice day.

Let’s see more pix this time Eric. You guys are having too much fun not to share. 📸📸📸📸
I’m still thinking about all that good urchin “roe” just going to waste… for you guys who are knee deep in the stuff , it takes on a different perspective for those of us who can only dream.
egardless, I hope you guys will have another successful event… having fun by doing good!
Best regards,
Froggie 🐸

Let’s see more pix this time Eric. You guys are having too much fun not to share. 📸📸📸📸
I’m still thinking about all that good urchin “roe” just going to waste… for you guys who are knee deep in the stuff , it takes on a different perspective for those of us who can only dream.
egardless, I hope you guys will have another successful event… having fun by doing good!
Best regards,
Froggie 🐸
I have all my sushi rice torpedo rolls all made up and in the fridge. I’m bringing wasabi, soy sauce, and avacodo to place on top of the rice roll with some uni.
You can also follow us on Instagram @p.u.r.p_707
All pics including videos will be posted there, including news and upcoming dives.

And I get to try out my new semi commercial urchin rake I made today. The single point is for pulling them loose and also getting into cracks, and the side netting is to push them into the bag.
All stainless.
IMG_0921.jpeg

Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom