Upcoming Purple Urchin Dive 7/30/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello again folks,
I have an urchin dive planned for Sunday, July 30th at Stillwater Cove Regional Park.
Stillwater Cove is located about 17 miles north if Jenner on Highway 1 in Sonoma County.
Meetup will be between 8:00 and 9:00 am at the picnic tables in the cove. The cove has restrooms, picnic tables, and barbecues.

This will be an official purple urchin removal dive in an ongoing effort to reduce the population of invasive purple urchins to try and help re-establish the kelp forests.

*Note, there is a loading and unloading zone at the cove entrance driveway. There is a 10 minute parking limit to load and unload gear, etc. you must move your vehicle promptly once you are done unloading so others can do the same.
There is free parking along the highway above the cove, and/or there is a day use parking lot up in the campground across the highway. The day use parking fee is $7 unless you have a parking pass.
There is a short wooded trail down the hill and through the redwood grove in the canyon that leads down to the cove from the day use parking.

Things you will need if you want to take urchins:
Valid California fishing license.
A large green or yellow (or multiple) Trident game bag(s) with double ender bolt snaps.
A lift bag or deluxe surface marker buoy that has a lift strap and a dump valve.
Kevlar dive gloves.
*Small gardening rake
Enough containers to hold 40 gallons of purple urchins. This could be eight 5 gallon buckets, or two 20 gallon brute trash cans, or one big 45 gallon brute trash can.
I have a wheel dolly to move full cans of urchins around.
Bring a couple tanks.
Bring your lunch, water, snacks, sunscreen.
Bring a buddy if you want.
I also recommend to have DAN Dive Insurance.

*About loosening urchins from the rocks:
I used a small gardening hand rake the last time I went out. It worked the best so far for collecting urchins. I strongly recommend getting one since it will save your gloves and your fingers from urchin spines. I will post a pic.
An ab iron or BFK also work to loosen urchins off rocks, then they can be handled carefully and placed into bags. A thin leather glove pulled over you dive glove would help to save your dive gloves and to prevent urchin spine injuries.
The diving will be shallow, 10’ to 15’, so make sure to bring enough ballast weight to work comfortably at that depth.

Each diver will be responsible to transport and deal with their own urchins. Pick up trucks or larger SUV type vehicles with cargo room are highly recommended.

**Also note: This is not a lead dive and as such Each Diver will be responsible for their own diving safety and they will be responsible for their own actions. We will be gathering and diving as autonomous divers.

For more information you can also go to this thread:
And this thread:
Thank you and see everyone there!
Cheers!

@suricatasuricata
@bperc
@doc_hud
@Bigbella
@Fonzi4
@SaltyWombat
@lostsheep
@Still Kicking
@nicoh
@wnissen
@ACHiPo
@Jeff_O
@Sonoma Coast 1
@lattehiatus
@The Ruttmeister
@lexvil
@runsongas
@Guille G

Here is my hand rake so you can see how I set it up.
I did put it into a vice and bend the forks a little more curved so it would grab urchins better. This tool is the ticket!
IMG_0643.jpeg

Hello again folks,
I have an urchin dive planned for Sunday, July 30th at Stillwater Cove Regional Park.
Stillwater Cove is located about 17 miles north if Jenner on Highway 1 in Sonoma County.
Meetup will be between 8:00 and 9:00 am at the picnic tables in the cove. The cove has restrooms, picnic tables, and barbecues.

Thanks for putting this together! I'm really eager to check out Stillwater Cove but am a maybe for July 30, since I committed to going to the Caspar Cove culling the day before. Hoping these will be regular events through late summer and fall!

Thanks for putting this together! I'm really eager to check out Stillwater Cove but am a maybe for July 30, since I committed to going to the Caspar Cove culling the day before. Hoping these will be regular events through late summer and fall!
Yeah, I kinda blew that one.
I talked to Jennifer at Seal’s and she informed me that Josh Russo from Waterman’s Alliance puts on those Caspar Cove Culling Dives at the end of each month.
But I already posted this before I knew that.
So I know now not to plan Stillwater Cove dives for the end of the month.
But since this one is posted up I keep it and hope we get a few people anyway.

Good luck, wish I could be there!

Someone take pics

Wish i could join. I will be sending deepwater good vibes to you and all those doing this great work. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom