stowing spools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While on the subject of spools, how many are carried in the course of a Cavern and intro Cave class.
For Cavern and Intro Cave we carried one primary per team and each diver had one and preferrably two safety reels.

A backup primary is not required as if you lose it you are still in open water and if you snarl it you clear it, or you abort and wind the line aound it on the way out. In Intro to Cave the primary is used only from open water to the gold line. A safety reel on the other hand is a piece of equipment that you want to have a backup as there are situations where having one could be a life and death matter.

nwd, what size line do you have on your spools? not that it matters for the question at hand, i'm just wondering.

Well , since spools and I don't get along. (it's NOT the spool fault) , I still use reels.
I've never tangled a jump reel (knocks on regs :D ) but you should see me fumble finger a spool.
I do use spools from time to time , if I don't have enough jump reels with me.

Almost EVERYONE I dive with uses double-enders on their spool and usually on the butt or side d-rings. :D
I agree with everyone else , with plenty of line on there , those double-enders get really snuggily :D :rofl3:

Hey Baby-Duck , I FINALLY did the Dark-Water tunnel (EEK).
It DIDN'T have dark-water UNTIL we poofied it.
But I make SURE that none of the poof got into the Pink Tunnel :D
See , I am always thinking of my buddies :D

Jeano da Bean

I lost a spool once.....

So I read up and found how other people did it.

Note on the red primary, the boltsnap instead of a double ender. Won't lose that :) On the gap reel (made by Marchand on the boards), in the first picture note how even if the double ender swings around, it won't be pushed open. Second shows how if it's put on the opposite way, it will easily open it self and slip off. I know it looks like it could open in the first one, but it won't. In the second picture, with the double ender put the opposite way, the thumb slide thing hits the reel and if pushed the right way (easy to do, especially if you can't see the thing, you can't guard against it) it opens easy.
2255796713_e140b32688.jpg

2255797185_f521c79e91.jpg

On the spool, note how the line is pulled through and over. Secondly, note how if the double ender is put so the gate is towards the line, it is much harder for it to be pushed open. I tried to hold it in the second shot to show that if the gate is away from the line, it can be pushed against the spool and open up, hopefully you can see that it's open already in the shot.
2256595596_82327ca91f.jpg

2256595946_6062be303e.jpg

So first picture is the right way to do it, where the double ender is less likely to be opened. Second picture shows wrong way and hopefully I got it in a position so you can see how it will be pushed open.

cool, jean! we were talking nice things about you today - hope you felt a good vibe!

As far as numbers go I was told I didn't have to supply any for the class but I intend to bring 2 for my trip or maybe all 4 but thats alot of spools and for a full cave cert I dont expect to need that many, am I wrong.

I used at least 4 on every dive we did for full cave. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

While on the subject of spools, how many are carried in the course of a Cavern and intro Cave class.

For the double ender coming off the line in my pocket, it happened to me once. Now I try to pull the line with the hook before putting it in the farthest hole possible on the spool, so far so good...

I just finished cavern/ basic cave. NSS-CDS and IANTD require one safety reel (or spool). NACD requires 2. But just because the MINIMUM requirement is 1 it doesn't mean you can't carry more. I fouled a spool when I deployed it for a lost line drill so I was glad that I was carrying a back-up.

cool, jean! we were talking nice things about you today - hope you felt a good vibe!

I sure did !!! :D
I am up in Illinois this week and boy , cold , cold , cold ...
Can't wait to get back to Florida on Friday.
(UFFDA)

Da Beano

For cave 1 we were required to have one primary reel for the team and one safety spool (150') for each diver.

For our cave 2 class we were requested to add two more jump spools to the equipment list.

My spools used to jump off my dbl enders all the time. Out of perhaps a dozen attempted escapes, only one actually went missing for good, thankfully. It happened in pockets and it happened on my butt d-ring and it drove me nuts. About a year ago a saw a thread that showed how to rig a spool so that they would stay put (see JahJahWarriors pic above - more or less the same as the thread I ref'ed). I think the method was attributed to Green or Main or one of the other Cave mavens. No more AWOL spools. Simple - works - does not litter caves with broken o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom