Streamlining Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that this discussion can be added to, by saying only take what you need on dive. This is an area where many new divers really get lost. You don't need to bring the kitchen sink along for the ride. If you are going to go harvesting, then take a catch bag. If you aren't - leave it on the boat. The same is true with most of the "necessities" that we think we will need.
Also if you are going to bring it with you then it should:
A. Fit in a pocket
B. Be clipped off until needed - in the case of backup light - inner tubed as well.
C. Be carried in your hand until you need to clip it off - a camera for example.

Stuff like slates or wet notes, back up masks, folding snorkels, smb's, whistles, surface alerts etc... should all go into a pocket(s).

The things you need to get to either in an emergency or frequently should always be easily gotten. Personally I'm not a big fan of retractors, but for my little camera - I could see a use. I have a set of wet notes that I have never used. They sit in my S.A.D. kit. Frankly I could probably leave my compass off my wrist on most of my dives that I do now. The only things that I really need are my spg (clipped off), backup reg - bungeed, primary reg, HID light - in hand most of the dive or clipped off and tucked into my belt, backup scout light - clipped and bungeed off on my left shoulder strap, a knife on my waist strap, and a bottom timer/depth gauge. Oh also my camera, which generally is my right hand or clipped off to my left shoulder d-ring.

NWGratefulDiver:
Well ... here's a link to a picture of Uncle Pug ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22757/si/Uncle Pug

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What is this @#$@$@? So instead of kneeling on the bottom, they teach you to lie on your back? Or is it that he is so inextricably entangled, that he can't move and is praying for divine intervention? And look at all of those empty d-rings, what a waste!

At least he is horizontal.

Otter:
What is this @#$@$@? So instead of kneeling on the bottom, they teach you to lie on your back? Or is it that he is so inextricably entangled, that he can't move and is praying for divine intervention? And look at all of those empty d-rings, what a waste!

Uncle Pug does a supine ascent that is really cool to watch. I seriously doubt that he ever came into contact with the bottom for this pic.

ShakaZulu:
Why dont's someone post a picture of one of those DIR dewds..........job done.

Because everything is black and you still can't sort out the detail.

Personally that's a pet peeve of mine about a lot of dive gear literature.

Pete

spectrum:
Because everything is black and you still can't sort out the detail.

Personally that's a pet peeve of mine about a lot of dive gear literature.

Pete

So a HUB is a good BC after all? :rofl2:

Nice pic of UP

Agree with the original post until it gets down to the last sentence...If all you want to do though is rec diving then for no other reason – streamlining will help lower your SAC rate and that unto itself is worthy.

If you have that much crap on you then you probably don't add any lead and don't need to be diving. In an extreme case, I TOTALLY agree, it will lower your SAC!

I totally hate to see a diver in a magazine that has their octo or gauge just dangling. I would think that the company that they are advertising for would know better.

I may be replaceing my gear soon, but the question is is hanging items on d-rings more streamline that putting them in pockets in a BCD.

I don't need a lot of extras on a dive. My gauges with my computer in a mini-console, all my other gear is in the form of a Akona pro addon to my BCD. My octo is integated into my inflation hose.

Now I do use a 7' under the arm primary, but the exposed hose is minimal. But should I change to a bc/w rig?

Stan

serambin:
I may be replaceing my gear soon, but the question is is hanging items on d-rings more streamline that putting them in pockets in a BCD.

I don't need a lot of extras on a dive. My gauges with my computer in a mini-console, all my other gear is in the form of a Akona pro addon to my BCD. My octo is integated into my inflation hose.

Now I do use a 7' under the arm primary, but the exposed hose is minimal. But should I change to a bc/w rig?

Stan
I think you should go with whatever is most comfortable to you. I am decidedly biased towards a BP/W, but as long as you don't look like a Christmas tree then you will be a lot further than many divers. Part of this discussion is to promote the idea that you don't need all the junk you think you do underwater. If you do bring it, then stow it.
Some will say that a BP/W is more streamlined and lowers your resistance profile. I would agree with that reasoning, but how much more efficient it will make you, is beyond me.

Otter:

Actually, he's taking a nap ... about 8-10 inches off the bottom. He flips over on his back so the reg won't fall out when he starts to snore ... :D

Otter:
Only when he chooses to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom