Stretching a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a MTM seaskin hood that was difficult to don, so I got it wet in the shower, got it on, put on my mask and traced the mask outline on the seal as a guide to trimming the seal. I essentially cut halfway between the mask line and the edge of the existing seal. That relieved a lot of the pressure and now the hood fits fine and the seal works great over the edge of the mask.
I have the same MTM Seaskin hood, too tight as well. I’ll give your technique a try. Thanks for that.

I got a Waterproof H1 5/10 in 2X and it is a little tight, just to the point of being a little uncomfortable. Wondering if anyone has had any luck stretching a hood to gain just whisker of room. I'd just exchange it for a 3X if they had it, but 2X is the largest they make. It's a really nice hood, works pretty good with my FFM and I'd like to make it work.

I thought maybe find an inflatable ball a little bigger than my head and inflate it inside the hood. Maybe soak the hood in hot water to loosen up the neo. If you have had any luck doing this, can you share how you did it? I ask because once I go down this road, I can't return it. I thought about diving it and just seeing if getting wet would help it to stretch out, but same issue. Once it is wet, I can't return it.
Did you ever get this to stretch some? I have the same hood and I am having similar issues. I am going to try the basketball route, but was curious if you had any update on how you solved your fitment issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom