Student dead, Lake Norfork, Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P.S.: Quick note on deductive reasoning. Article indicated the Instructor's name & city. Per Wikipedia per 2010 Census, city has 71,551 people. J&T Dive Shop is located in that city & state, has an instructor on staff with that same name, and the website indicates they dive the lake where this took place. So I can't definitively confirm the above info. applies, but I believed the circumstantial evidence sufficient to justify my post. Odds of a medium city in an inland, fairly rural state having more than one scuba instructor with that name seemed low to me, but let's allow for the possibility.
It's him. I'd never met him. The owners of the dive shop I work at knew him, but only casually.

what are the criteria for sending the rescuing diver to a decompression chamber?
This has happened to me. It's not pleasant to be asymptomatic in a chamber. They weren't my students either. I think the instructor had 8 students in his deep class and told them that he couldn't watch them all, so they had to stay with him. I wasn't hurt, but I am still incredibly angry with that man.

This has happened to me. It's not pleasant to be asymptomatic in a chamber. They weren't my students either. I think the instructor had 8 students in his deep class and told them that he couldn't watch them all, so they had to stay with him. I wasn't hurt, but I am still incredibly angry with that man.

Was it because one was symptomatic and they didn't want to take a chance another would turn symptomatic after the treatment was started, which would be a logistic nightmare?

Bob

Was it because one was symptomatic and they didn't want to take a chance another would turn symptomatic after the treatment was started, which would be a logistic nightmare?
That would be affirmative.

Those in the know, if you would---keep us posted on what they find out re: cause of accident/death...........tia.........

Those involved have probably been advised by their insurance company that they cannot discuss the events. That means that those "in the know" are probably really just going on conjecture and hearsay.

sorry to hear such sad news.....

It's not pleasant to be asymptomatic in a chamber.
Still better than being symptomatic in a chamber.:yeahbaby:

As to the original question, yes, chamber treatment might be recommended/suggested even if you are asymptomatic but have a suspicious/aggressive profile. Or you may be in an omitted-decompression situation but still be asymptomatic. Just because you don't have symptoms doesn't mean there are bubbles brewing, waiting to cause trouble.

Better to be treated when not needed than not treated when it's called for.

- Ken

Those involved have probably been advised by their insurance company that they cannot discuss the events. That means that those "in the know" are probably really just going on conjecture and hearsay.

You just described the average newspaper reporting----I was looking for the real/accurate 'stuff'........

I have known Terry the owner of J&T for a very long time I know how saftey conscience he is and how well his instructors are, so this has hit home hard as I have been to the site where they dove hundreds of times and it is a fantastic dive and it's an area that most instructions like to take students for its viz and it's vast different diving conditions and depths.
So it's very sad indeed my thoughts and prayers for the family's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom