Student fatality - Kreidesee, Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google's translation...
A diver from the Darmstadt-Dieburg district drowned during a course in Lower Saxony. The 30-year-old was diving with a group in the Kreidesee near Cuxhaven, one of the most popular diving spots in Germany.

As the police announced, the 30-year-old drowned during a diving course in the Kreidesee near Hemmoor (Cuxhaven district).

The woman from the Darmstadt-Dieburg district was at the lake on Saturday afternoon for a deep diving exercise. According to the police, the group consisted of five participants, including two diving instructors.

Complications at a depth of 35 meters​

At around a depth of 35 meters, the diver suddenly had complications. Accompanied by the trained diving instructor, she then ascended in a controlled manner to a depth of ten meters.

However, her condition did not improve, so there was a quicker emergency ascent.

According to police, attempts at resuscitation on land were unsuccessful. Two emergency doctors and a rescue helicopter were among those on duty. The woman died at the lake. The Cuxhaven police are investigating how the accident could have happened.

30,000 visitors from all over the world​

The 60 meter deep chalk lake in Hemmoor is one of the most popular diving areas in Germany. More than 30,000 people come from all over the world every year. In the past, people repeatedly had accidents in the lake .

The visibility is up to 40 meters. This is because chalk was once mined there for cement production.

Cars, a plane and the deepest mailbox​

Attractions such as cars, caravans and an airplane were sunk for the divers.

The deepest mailbox in Germany is also in the Kreidesee - at a depth of 19 meters. Divers can put waterproof postcards in the yellow box. However, it is not an official Deutsche Post box; it is emptied weekly by a diver. Then the cards are taken to the post office.

Update August 11, 2023:

This Friday, the autopsy results were announced by the Stade public prosecutor's office. The 30-year-old diver died as a result of ascending too quickly from a depth of 35m. The diver and her companion climbed from this depth to a depth of 10m and then carried out an emergency ascent from there. No vital functions could be determined on land and resuscitation was unsuccessful.

The autopsy showed that no further organic failure could have caused the accident, according to the public prosecutor's press spokesman.

An investigation was then initiated against the buddy and the diving instructor responsible for the training group. The charge is negligent homicide. “We will examine whether there is responsibility in the course of these proceedings,” commented the public prosecutor.

Update August 11, 2023:

This Friday, the autopsy results were announced by the Stade public prosecutor's office. The 30-year-old diver died as a result of ascending too quickly from a depth of 35m. The diver and her companion climbed from this depth to a depth of 10m and then carried out an emergency ascent from there. No vital functions could be determined on land and resuscitation was unsuccessful.
So barotrauma? How is a buddy going to stop someone from holding their breath on an ascent?

So barotrauma? How is a buddy going to stop someone from holding their breath on an ascent?
Very simple. Palm thrust to the stomach forces the exhale. Every instructor should have been taught this. I was taught it in my open water class. Instructor told me this is what he would do on a CESA if the didn't see bubbles being exhaled.

Very simple. Palm thrust to the stomach forces the exhale. Every instructor should have been taught this. I was taught it in my open water class. Instructor told me this is what he would do on a CESA if the didn't see bubbles being exhaled.
I wasn't taught this... I've been involved in one ascent where the diver was being attended by another instructor and she didn't exhale. Fortunately, I was in contact with a line and I arrested both of their stops. I'm glad I did, but it was one of the most physically taxing things I've done underwater. . . If you can hold anyone about 7-15 seconds, at any depth, they'll breathe.

I don't see myself in a drysuit and thick undergarment, dry gloves with liner as thick as I can go and have some dexterity punching a student in a dry suit and thick undergarments and have any effect at all. I don't think Mike Tyson would either.

I could try an arm bar to the nuts, but they likely will spit out their reg and drown.

I opt for slowing them down as much as possible and keep their reg in their mouths. It is really hard when someone is in a full blown panic. I've dealt with it twice.

But how does "At around a depth of 35 meters, the diver suddenly had complications" and "The 30-year-old diver died as a result of ascending too quickly from a depth of 35m" match?

But how does "At around a depth of 35 meters, the diver suddenly had complications" and "The 30-year-old diver died as a result of ascending too quickly from a depth of 35m" match?
Lots of possibilities from 115 feet deep and the panic monster is near. OOA, breath holding, etc.

Lots of possibilities from 115 feet deep and the panic monster is near. OOA, breath holding, etc.
That's how I read it too. The report said the "diver died as a result of ascending too quickly from a depth of 35m." Something went wrong at 35m, but if the report is correct something related to the ascent killed her which rules out drowning or a primary cardiac issue. DCS is highly unlikely to have been immediately fatal from that depth, so that pretty much leaves pulmonary barotrauma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom