Stuff to do in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A must is the "History of Diving Museum" at mm 83 in Islamorada...I'll post some pic's when I download my images later...Inexpensive and super informative....we stopped by there yesterday when we were blown out from the cold front

Hello all.
We are not big partiers, so that is not a priority, but if it is a must go we will try it out. While in Key West we are staying just off of Duval Street. Any tips or pointers about getting around downtown, dining etc.? We are looking to have a nice diner there Tuesday night and make it to the sunset. Any suggestions on driving, parking, accesses, etc.?

Hello,

The best way by far to get around Key West is by moped (or motorcycle). They (mopeds) can be rented cheap, like $35/day. You will save almost that in just parking, and save alot of headaches. You can find parking easier and get really close to where you want to be as spaces for them are all over the place.

Also, this jetski tour around Key West is pretty cool to do at least once. While I've never found jetskis to be amusing after the first 5 minutes, the boss lady is very fond of them. The tour is pretty cool because at least there is some sort of a plot:
http://www.barefootbillys.com/jetski-tours/

Regards,
Chris

A must is the "History of Diving Museum" at mm 83 in Islamorada...I'll post some pic's when I download my images later...Inexpensive and super informative....we stopped by there yesterday when we were blown out from the cold front

fwiw, we now have the lady that runs that as a member here on the board :)

And on the drive back from Key West to the airport, there is a talking CD that will give you history by mile marker and point out tidbits as you drive along in your car. Great way to learn more about the Keys and why some of the areas exist.

ONE FOR THE ROAD | KeysNews.com

Lots to do here if you get blown out. No reservations are necessary just drop in. (except swimming with the dolphins) In Big Pine hit a road on the bayside (right side) going down and check out the Key Deer. They are thier early in the morning and in the evening walking all over the place. Please be careful when driving as they walk out in front of your car.

If you rent a house in Big Pine they will be in your yard looking for handouts. I stayed last Oct. for fantasy Fest and they were everywhere.

FYI if you are feeding the Tarpon at Robbies watch out for the birds as they are getting really mean and biting people with the fish in their hands.

Please note, this sticky was recently updated with up-to-date and accurate information.

If you find that you need more info we have lots of people here in the Conch Section that are very willing and happy to help you. By the same token, if there is anything you feel needs added, please let me know.

Thanks so much
Becky

Spear Girl,
I meant ABSOLUTELY NO DISRESPECT to you. I just saw that it was locked and it showed to be very old. I know with storms, the economy, personal reasons, etc. that businesses come and go. I just wanted to ensure the most current info.
Thanks for your input and warning about the birds at Robbie's!! :D

Key West has tons to do. Definitely visit Mel Fisher's, do the Jet ski tour around the island. (Kids can ride with), go to Mallory Square at Sunset and take the Ferry (or Seaplane) out to Fort Jefferson. Diving is better in Key Largo but Key West is a must at least once. We stayed for several days and enjoyed just laying by the pool. Plus you can walk most anywhere if you are staying off of Duval.

Lots to do here if you get blown out. No reservations are necessary just drop in. (except swimming with the dolphins) In Big Pine hit a road on the bayside (right side) going down and check out the Key Deer. They are thier early in the morning and in the evening walking all over the place. Please be careful when driving as they walk out in front of your car.

If you rent a house in Big Pine they will be in your yard looking for handouts. I stayed last Oct. for fantasy Fest and they were everywhere.

FYI if you are feeding the Tarpon at Robbies watch out for the birds as they are getting really mean and biting people with the fish in their hands.

Oh boy...don't let my wife get wind of that...we'd be staying in Big Pine from now on and she'd be out there trying to feed them all day every day! :shakehead:

I HAVE to drive everytime we go through that area so she can look for them!

Oh boy...don't let my wife get wind of that...we'd be staying in Big Pine from now on and she'd be out there trying to feed them all day every day! :shakehead:

I HAVE to drive everytime we go through that area so she can look for them!

Too late. Email was already dispatched to her. :cool2:

Buoyant1 -- It is going to be cheaper to trap one of the fawns, smuggle it back to PA and raise it in the basement than pay rent on a BPK house for 52 weeks. At least if you get caught it might be Fed Time and that isn't so bad...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom