Stupid Question: Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Philippines nobody will question you if you DO NOT tip unlike USA!
BTW, if you do leave tips in the box please make sure that it is being shared among everyone. In some operators eg. Anilao the free lance dm would not see any of it.
Spread your wealth equally.

Sorry for opening a can of worms. I was curious about the tips. And yes ill make it a point to keep the boat crew in mind as well. I have heard good things about rocksteady and was tokd that their boat crew are great people as well. I guess ill see tomorrow and judge how much i should tip. Thanks for all the input :D

In Philippines nobody will question you if you DO NOT tip unlike USA!

Nobody will confront you (unlike USA). They're not likely to be hugely appreciative of those who don't tip though... and aren't likely to restrain from comment outside of your earshot. LOL

Nobody will confront you (unlike USA). They're not likely to be hugely appreciative of those who don't tip though... and aren't likely to restrain from comment outside of your earshot. LOL
How would they know if the tips go into the Box and there are plenty other divers around?
Tip box is the best solution as long as the content is split equally among all concerned. Of course you do get the odd "kuripot".

Just finished 2 dives with rocksteady. Wizard was my dm. Very good dm and very safe. Very accomodating and "makwento" which helped a lot since i have a non diver with me. I was thinking of giving the tip before i leave but was really happy with the service that i gave a few hundred to the dm which i believe he shared with the boatman. It wasnt much but i was glad that thr seemed surprised and appreciated. At least it seemed to me. Maybe tipping is really uncommon here.

We completed about 8-10 dives with RockSteady last year and they were excellent.
The briefings and 'guidings' from Roberto and Dino were exceptional.
The food was some of the best I have had in 4 months of travelling the Philippines.
Their dive centre is extremely good value for money, especially if you use your own equipment.
I think Wizard was just starting, good to know that he's doing well.
We gave the crew quite reasonable tips, and a sneakier larger tip to the guide. We also brought on goods from the bakery or fruit from the market to share with the crew

I think between 2 of us we gave P500 to each crew member, P1000 to the guide, and P200 to the boat driver's son who tagged along on the final day.
For such affordable diving and great service we could have given them a lot more.
But then if you translate how much you are giving as tip into a proportion of their monthly salary (P8-14,000 for a guide), and compare this to your own salary... suddenly you're tipping one person the equivalent of £150-200 for 4-5 days diving.
I doubt many British Dive guides would ever get tipped as much as £150-200 for 4-5 days, from 2 divers... I could be wrong
It seems arrogant and insulting to give someone such a large tip, just as it feels awkward to feel like you're not tipping enough

Are you just doing the 2 dives?
The Barracuda Lake is a very easy dive, and a refreshing change from the norm.

Nic

We completed about 8-10 dives with RockSteady last year and they were excellent.
The briefings and 'guidings' from Roberto and Dino were exceptional.
The food was some of the best I have had in 4 months of travelling the Philippines.
Their dive centre is extremely good value for money, especially if you use your own equipment.
I think Wizard was just starting, good to know that he's doing well.
We gave the crew quite reasonable tips, and a sneakier larger tip to the guide. We also brought on goods from the bakery or fruit from the market to share with the crew

I think between 2 of us we gave P500 to each crew member, P1000 to the guide, and P200 to the boat driver's son who tagged along on the final day.
For such affordable diving and great service we could have given them a lot more.
But then if you translate how much you are giving as tip into a proportion of their monthly salary (P8-14,000 for a guide), and compare this to your own salary... suddenly you're tipping one person the equivalent of £150-200 for 4-5 days diving.
I doubt many British Dive guides would ever get tipped as much as £150-200 for 4-5 days, from 2 divers... I could be wrong
It seems arrogant and insulting to give someone such a large tip, just as it feels awkward to feel like you're not tipping enough

Are you just doing the 2 dives?
The Barracuda Lake is a very easy dive, and a refreshing change from the norm.

Nic

I think that's the correct term i was looking for: awkward. Hehe im diding with again later for dives and still contemplating on another or 2 more tomorrow. I need to allot some time so my companion can go island hopping. Wizard is doing very well. Oh and the boat captain Jan-Jan cooks the best lunch :D

Barracuda lake is really interesting. It is not often you get to dive in an active volcanic vent. Trust it when they say you don't need a wetsuit there. It's amazing the aquatic life you see in that hot water.

I recall a crazy night in Coron. Stayed in a hotel on a island. Went to a bar in Coron with a complmentary boat trip. Guy told us we had to return at 2300 cause that was the last boat ride scheduled. Ended up getting totally wasted.. Around 2300 we asked the guy if it was Ok if we stayed for little longer. As with all Asian guys they were too kind to recline, we were too wasted to realize. We bought the guy and his friends beers, snacks and paid his pool table though

By the time it was 0300AM everyone was wasted, including the boat guy. We went back with him. All five of us realising he pbb had to get up at 0600 and we made him work like 4 hours overtime that he pbb wasn't going to see in his wallet at the end of the week. As it was dark nobody could see eacht other really well but everybody decided for himself that a decent tip was in order. We ended up tipping the guy 4000 pesos hehe

an akward amount we still don't regret to this day

Back
Top Bottom