Stupid Wetsuit Tricks - airbrushing a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool! I agree, this sounds like one of those "Gee, why didn't I think of that?" things that would go over really big. A lot of people are tired of black wetsuits or the same old blue portions and black.

I love the octopus idea. Please post pics on any more that you do!

As I said I would, here's a link to some more information on what I did. I couldn't find a good way to store this on ScubaBoard, so I stuck it on my Adelphia home page instead. Its 1.6 MB, most of it is because of the size of the pictures - I took pictures as I did this so I could document the process for myself.
Airbrushing a Wetsuit write-up

As far as making money off airbrushing wetsuits - I'm sure somebody could. I just happen to make quite a bit at my fulll time job. Were I to do this on the side, in addition to having really long turnaround times, I'd probably want to charge way too much to make it worth my while (it took me between 5 and 6 hours to do what I thought was a very simple graphic, I'm going to hold off on how much that would cost if I were to charge my full-time hourly wage). And I know that I just don't have it in me to pre-make stencils to cut down on time and repeat the same thing.

Actually, in Southern California, I would imagine the biggest business would come from surfers who wear wetsuits, not divers - they've got the Kustom mentality more so than divers. But, the surfers don't tend to have a lot of money (let alone the divers, who will spend there money on new equipment). If somebody wanted to do this for $10-$15/hour, I'm sure you could get business. Throw in the ability to paint surfboards, snowboards, tanks (motorcycle or scuba), etc, you could probably have enough business to make a decent living.

That looks pretty cool! Like a real remora! About ten years ago I had one try to stick to a fat lady's leg a couple times during a dive. She was freaking out to say the least! It could make a great tatoo too. I think you're onto something. Good luck!

I have a plain black wetsuit with my local dive store name on it but I'm interested in painting something on it to make it my own. What, where and how will I be able to accomplish this? What kind of paint, where to get it and how to apply it. Yours came out pretty nice by the way.

Thanks for your time.

That is the coolest thing I've seen on a wetsuit! Man, I'd love to have that graphic on mine.

plainsong:
I have a plain black wetsuit with my local dive store name on it but I'm interested in painting something on it to make it my own. What, where and how will I be able to accomplish this? What kind of paint, where to get it and how to apply it. Yours came out pretty nice by the way.

Thanks for the compliments.

I used Createx White Acrylic as my base. You'll need to build up enough of a base that you can get good colors. Its basically like airbrushing on a black T-Shirt. I went ahead and filled up the wetsuit with towels to stretch it out. The acrylic white will fill in the neoprene. After I finished painting it, I used Save-T from Coast Airbrush to seal it (you can't heat-set the acrylics in this case). I have worn the half-mil over the top of my 7 mil for a couple of dives. Overall, I found that to be uncomfortable, so I still don't have a good feel for how long the graphics will last. I can say the graphic has survived 2 dives for sure.

If you haven't done a "white onto black" painting before, I'd suggest getting an artboard, using black enamel spray primer to get it black, and try doing your graphic on that first. I attached a preview of something I'm working on right now that uses that style (although I'm not planning on moving this to a wetsuit).

.....if you're interested in painting your or someone else's wetsuit, I can give you a more detailed description if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

Cool shark Mr Nitroxinator,

I found your post on google. And followed it into Scubaboard and I am now a member! Anyway I am really interested in your wet suit airbrushing as I would really like to do the same! I am a graphic designer with air brushing skills and would like to take it further. If you have anymore information than the above I would be very interested..if not itys sound. Sarah

Man, can i say that you're very talented...that is great work

Back
Top Bottom